Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Get Cooking

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Thanksgiving Treats

The "Bird" has arrived and now resting. A little early, temperature 166F Placed in warm cooler till carving.
Attached Thumbnails
Thanksgiving Treats-dscn2719.jpg  
Les, Gulf and Xene like this.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Journeyman

Kbartman, great looking bird. Thanks for sharing.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 11-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Journeyman

I put together a sweet potato salad that everyone raved about. The recipe is from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian." I used dried cherries and a green pepper and omitted the mint or parsley. I also added a pinch of red pepper flakes to the dressing.

Recipe:

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Red Pepper Vinaigrette
By Mark Bittman
From the How to Cook Everything Vegetarian® app

Introduction:

Here is another potato‐vinaigrette combo: The red pepper dressing is tart, sweet, and spicy, with a touch of cumin. This is best served warm or at room temperature, though of course you can refrigerate and serve it up to a day later, as long as you take it out of the refrigerator beforehand to take the chill off.

Ingredients:

4 large sweet potatoes
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and quartered
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon grated orange zest (optional)
½ cup sliced scallion
½ cup minced fresh mint or fresh parsley leaves
1 or 2 fresh minced chiles (jalapeño, Thai, serrano, or habanero), or to taste
¼ cup raisins (optional)
Steps:

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into bite‐sized pieces. Put them on a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast, turning occasionally, until crisp and brown outside and just tender inside, about 30 minutes. Remove and keep on the pan until ready to dress.
Make the dressing while the potatoes cook. Put the remaining 6 tablespoons oil in a blender, along with the vinegar, bell pepper, cumin, and zest if you're using it. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Purée until smooth.
Toss the warm potatoes with the scallion, mint, chiles, and raisins if you're using them. Add ½ cup of the dressing and toss to coat, adding more if necessary. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Attached Thumbnails
Thanksgiving Treats-image_1513.jpg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 11-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Thanksgiving Treats

Gudday Bruce
That recipe sounds great . By the pic you also have the orange sweet potatoe. Thanks I certainly try this one
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Journeyman

Thanks Dave,
By the way I enjoyed reading about your Australian Thankgiving. I ran across the recipe and realized I had the essential ingredients on hand. It was easy to put together. I think it would make a great non traditional side with a turkey dinner. Hope we'll see some other side dish recipes or ideas posted.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
I ran this recipe past the wife and she is very interested. It "ticks many boxes" with her , has sweet potato in it, nth African flavours , and sounds quite simple to put together. I'm under instruction to make a batch and we might possibly use it on Xmas night. We are away all day and we have to be able to produce something nice and fast for or guests when we return.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Apprentice

Dry brined the turkey & put a mustard/horseradish/panko coating on a crown pork roast. Turkey was 15 lbs & roast was 12 lbs. Took the oven temp up to 500F, equilized temp, then put the roast and the bird in. I figured the little higher temp at first would be good with that volume of meat. Both the bird & the crown came to 155-160F temp in 2.5 hrs...man, I love my oven! Used a beer can chicken rack to help support the crown roast shape during the bake. What amazes me is that the turkey was just as moist the day after Thanksgiving...no complaints at this household. By the way, my wife made the little turkeys with double stuffed Oreos, peanut butter cups, malt balls, candy corn, and a little red cake frosting (with melted chocolate to help hold some surfaces together)-food network idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Thanksgiving Treats-dsc04187crop_sm2.jpg   Thanksgiving Treats-dsc04190_sm2.jpg   Thanksgiving Treats-dsc04191_sm2.jpg   Thanksgiving Treats-dsc04194_sm2.jpg   Thanksgiving Treats-dsc04197_sm2.jpg  

Thanksgiving Treats-dsc04198_sm2.jpg  
Gulf and Greenman like this.
)

Photo albums

Old 11-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Journeyman

Dave, we just finished the last of the salad tonight. It held up well in the fridge and tasted good chilled. You could either make the salad a day early or prepare the components and assemble when you get home. I hope you enjoy the salad as much as my gang did, please share your thoughts. Bruce

Old 11-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
That good to know .... Be even better if it could be served straight from the fridge. Xmas night is covered we are having fresh prawns (shrimp) and blue swimmer crabs. The child bride ordered them on friday. Have a promise of a mud crab from a neighbor ... But I wouldnt hold my breath, he's been working on that boat 3 months now.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 12-01-2013, 01:07 AM
Master Builder

Hey Dave - Those fishermen are a dodgy bunch, should know since I am one of them. The plan B is a great idea in case the good intentions blow out. Not sure if you have had a go at them but Spanner Crabs are the next best thing to a muddie. The only crab that I have found that freezes well and easier to pick than the blue swimmers and here they are $15/kg cleaned.

Sorry about the thread hijack. The food that Mike has put up there looks very impressive. There is some excellent food displayed here.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics