Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Get Cooking

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Thanksgiving Treats

Gudday
Sorry Gulf, but what is that ?
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Sorry Gulf, but what is that ?
Regards dave
No, excuse me!

I was working on a sentence or two for that but, accidently deleted them while cutting and paisting .

It is a maze smoker. (I'm trying to stay away from the brand name) They are mostly used for cold smoking, but if you have an alternate heat source like we do, they should work for hot smoking too. Usually it is loaded with saw dust. Some are designed for pellets.

Some are made in tube forms.

Either way, I think of them as a slow burning fuses. They can be lit on one end for a long lite smoke. Or lit on both ends for more smoke, but with less time.

I do think that someone could make something "easy and cheap" to get similar results. Perforating a disposabable aluminum pan and leaving a little separation in the snaking pile should work. I do intend to experiment some myself with a ham and a couple of chicken hens this up coming holiday .

Old 11-18-2013, 04:41 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Turkey day is right around the corner, what are you planning?

I still haven't work out how I'm going to do my bird yet................... I was wonder If any one has tried starting a small fire in the oven and very slowly bringing the oven up to smoking temperatures about 250F and keeping it there all day. I've seen online something called a charcoal snake. If you Google it you will see what I'm talking about. I was thinking that it would work on smoking a turkey. Has anyone used this method or others for slow smoking in you WFO?

Look forward to here what everyone is planning for the big day.
I've been doing BBQ and smoking meats for years, thou I'm not an expert. I just want to say that poultry should not be in a environment of less than 300* without being cured first. If you want to smoke a turkey at low temp you must use a brine with a curing salt "sodium nitrite". I have smoked many turkeys at 300* and brined without a cure and they turn out awesome. Just a FYI.
Gulf likes this.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 11-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Apprentice

I have no prior experience to tell me that this will work, but my plan for this Thanksgiving is as follows:

Wednesday Night: Pizza for visiting family, brine the bird. Keep the fire going an hour or two after pizza to get the bricks saturated.
Thursday morning: Oven hopefully 500-550. Bake bread.
Thursday afternoon: Oven hopefully 450-500, Turkey in.
After the turkey's out: Oven hopefully 350-400, casseroles in while the turkey rests.

I bought a remote barbeque thermometer, where the probe stays in the meat while it cooks. So we'll play it by ear with how long to cook the turkey.

-Ryan
Old 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Master Builder

Ryan. I don't want to burst your bubble but unless you have some super duper WFO...I would say I don't think so to your heating schedule.

So you may want to plan on giving the oven a bit of a kick here and there.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey1 View Post
I've been doing BBQ and smoking meats for years, thou I'm not an expert. I just want to say that poultry should not be in a environment of less than 300* without being cured first. If you want to smoke a turkey at low temp you must use a brine with a curing salt "sodium nitrite". I have smoked many turkeys at 300* and brined without a cure and they turn out awesome. Just a FYI.
Thanks Chris,
I totally missed the 250 temp in the post. Your advice is dead on about the "pink curing salt" in this case Although, the best turkey that I ever had, was a fully cured/smoked. Actually, it was pretty close to the "best ham" that I ever had .

Last edited by Gulf; 11-18-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:42 AM
Master Builder

Gulf,
Those smoking devices are pretty cool. How did your homemade device work out for ya? is that a saw dust paste of some sort?

Attached picture is charcoal snake method that I was considering. I figured it might work on a WFO. Although now that I think about it, starting with a cold oven I would probably have trouble reaching and maintaining temperature.......... Makes more sense to have preheated oven. I'm not sure how much heat this method would produce, but I think I give it test run on a Boston butt before turkey day.

I plan on brining my turkey before hand. Any one have any brine recipes they would like to share?
Attached Thumbnails
Thanksgiving Treats-maxresdefault.jpg  

KB

Old 11-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
Ryan. I don't want to burst your bubble but unless you have some super duper WFO...I would say I don't think so to your heating schedule.

So you may want to plan on giving the oven a bit of a kick here and there.
Oh certainly. The overnight temperature loss is probably going to be the biggest problem. If I can the oven around 525 for bread baking, experience with my oven tells me the rest should work out. I've managed to keep temps >525 overnight before, but not from one long firing, so most likely I'll need to light a quick fire Thursday morning and bake the bread closer to noon.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Gulf,
Those smoking devices are pretty cool. How did your homemade device work out for ya? is that a saw dust paste of some sort?

All of the pics in my above posts were taken from the internet. The homemade smoking maze/snake was also, and is not something that I have tried.........yet . But I will be doing so very soon. It is not a paste, just regular hardwood/fruitwood saw dust (of your choosing for flavor preference) poured into the container.

Attached picture is charcoal snake method that I was considering. I figured it might work on a WFO. Although now that I think about it, starting with a cold oven I would probably have trouble reaching and maintaining temperature.......... Makes more sense to have preheated oven. I'm not sure how much heat this method would produce, but I think I give it test run on a Boston butt before turkey day.

Please give us/me a report on the charcoal snake after you do. It sounds very interesting!
I'll pass on the brining recipes, unless you want to check this one out on another forum that I'm following.

I'm sure that you will get some varying and all very great responses to that question .

Old 11-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Master Builder

Charcoal snake was a success. More details later. Attached pictures help tell the story.
Attached Thumbnails
Thanksgiving Treats-dscn2700.jpg   Thanksgiving Treats-dscn2701.jpg   Thanksgiving Treats-dscn2703.jpg   Thanksgiving Treats-dscn2704.jpg   Thanksgiving Treats-dscn2705.jpg  

Thanksgiving Treats-dscn2706.jpg  

KB