Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Get Cooking (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/)
-   -   Terracotta bakeware details (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/terracotta-bakeware-details-560.html)

james 04-30-2006 11:02 AM

Terracotta bakeware details

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a fun photograph of Sig. Lotti (senior) and their small kiln in S. Gimignano. They are our producer for terra cotta bakeware for woodfired ovens. They also have a large kiln nearby for the firing the bakeware itself, while this one is used for the glaze.

The bakeware is made from clay quarried in Tuscany (Montelupo, which is also a center for decorative terracotta), mixed with 45% refined alumina (imported from Germany). The bakeware is heat restistant to over 1500F (so it works great in a wood-fired ovens), and you can even use it on a cooktop with direct flame. It is fully food-safe.

To poke fun at one of our pizza oven competitors, it is interesting to see that there isn't enough alumina in "tuscan clay" for bakeware, and the alumina has to be add. I think that is a reminder that basic "clay" ovens really aren't what you want to use. :)

Kathfootball 02-10-2007 09:40 AM

Re: Terracotta bakeware details

How do I get this stuff? The clay pots I have used before explode in the oven... Thanks kathfootball

james 02-10-2007 09:46 AM

Hi Kathy,

We sell them! Go to:

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Cook...p-1-c-250.html

I have also exploded pans in my oven before we found these. They're great.
James

asudavew 11-12-2007 09:48 AM

These are nice James.

I wish I still had access to my college pottery studio....

Maybe I will go see my old prof....

I used to be a decent potter... Not sure if I still can throw or not! But I think I will give it a try.

james 11-12-2007 09:14 PM

Dave,

Throw your own. If you were a potter, and are now a pizzaiolo, you should give it shot. You'll be great. Do you have access to a local kiln?

James

asudavew 11-13-2007 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 19207)
Dave,

Throw your own. If you were a potter, and are now a pizzaiolo, you should give it shot. You'll be great. Do you have access to a local kiln?

James

My college, which is in my town, offers continuing education classes. So I would have access to the whole studio. Huge kilns with roll out doors and about 20 pottery wheels.

So, if I can find the time...

I'll have to post some pics of some of the work I did. I took a pottery class as my last elective in my last semester at college. I just graduated in 2006 and had a really good relationship with my professor. I even did some work at his house while I was a carpenter. I think he would let me have access even if I wasn't enrolled. Which would be awesome. When I do get back I will have to make you a nice set of ramekins in appreciation for all you do here.
A little pay back.

lwood 11-25-2009 11:40 PM

Has anyone been to San Gimignano, Italy? It's a beautiful walled city with several lookout towers, very old and interesting. Had a great afternoon there with wine, cheese and cured wild boar sausage.

christymbsmith 05-31-2010 02:55 PM

I'm looking for a terracotta bean pot. Any suggestions on sources? Thanks

lwood 06-01-2010 09:01 PM

Terracotta Bakeware | Terracotta Lasagna Pan | Pizza Oven Bakeware

These are beautiful.

SedonaDale 10-07-2011 02:59 PM

I have a couple I bought from Forno Bravo. How do I clean them? I haven't used the second one yet because the first one is stained after only a couple of uses? I called, and someone at frono bravo suggested baking soda, which helped, but it still looks stained. Help!