Old 08-05-2012, 05:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: storing bases on wooden peels?

Gudday
Damon
Yep with untrained guests the pizza tray is the way to go....contains the mess .... the overflowing toppings, the ripped base, the cheese addict. As the guests get more trained you can sit back a bit and let them train the unskilled.
One thing about trays never, ever ,no way ,no how, put them through a dishwasher no amount of oil next time will stop them sticking ....batttered and blackened is best

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Master Builder

Yeah that's it I learnt that with my bread tins having that layer.

Another thing on trays......For the first few pizzas if the hearth is too hot - i leave them on the tray so the base doesn't burn....... and if the top is cooking to quick I hold the peel over the top.to shield it. Hey at least you can get something edible to the hungry guests

Old 08-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Damon
Yep with untrained guests the pizza tray is the way to go....contains the mess .... the overflowing toppings, the ripped base, the cheese addict. As the guests get more trained you can sit back a bit and let them train the unskilled.
One thing about trays never, ever ,no way ,no how, put them through a dishwasher no amount of oil next time will stop them sticking ....batttered and blackened is best

Regards Dave
Thanks for the guidance...just a couple of days late, I just bought a bunch of screens and perforated disks at an auction from a pizza place going out of business, I spent the good part of an afternoon cleaning them up. I will be using them for the first time on Wednesday so I hope it is not a disaster.

They were all black and patinaed with cheese and burned dough, now they have been scrubbed and rubbed to with an inch if their lives and well .. Look like new.

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-06-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"They were all black and patinaed with cheese and burned dough, now they have been scrubbed and rubbed to with an inch if their lives and well .. Look like new."

Gudday chip
from your discription....wow I probably would have done the same!!!! and cleaned um to an inch of there life! Its not that I don't clean mine its soap water and a cloth never scrubed with anything harsh or the dreaded dishwasher.
Pherhaps this will work give them a light oil then cycle them through the hot oven to bed them in like you do with new cast iron cookware? worth a try?

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 08-07-2012 at 03:45 AM. Reason: cookware sound heaps better than cockware!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Pherhaps this will work give them a light oil then cycle them through the hot oven to bed them in like you do with new cast iron cookware? worth a try?

Regards Dave
Thanks Dave I will give that a shot. I put a small fire in today to bake some rolls for dinner tonight. I will put a few of the perf. sheets in oiled to prep them for tomorrows pizza.

Some of the screens were so packed with pizza stuff that they looked smooth on top and I was afraid with that density of packing they would not transfer a proper amount of heat from the floor. Several of those I placed over a small fire to burn off the packed stuff. One got so hot from the cheese and oil burning off that it melted the aluminum screen (one for recycle). I was more careful with the others.

But I only paid $25 for the set in the picture including the rack so it was a good deal. Some of the Perforated Sheets cost $8 each new. and they are in nice shape. It is also nice to have a wide range of sizes from 6 - 16 inches.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
storing bases on wooden peels?-img_1214.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-07-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typos