Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Starting the fire help and brush?

Forget paper. As a Boy Scout I stumbled on using wax paper! Heck of a difference and if it gets wet it dries fast. The wax helps generate higher temperatures. Just crumple up pieces of wax paper (I use it instead of plastic wrap whenever I can in the kitchen) like you normally would with paper.

Top Down fires only for me after learning about them here and trying them.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Serf

Especially for getting started... I would kind of skip the copper pipe. Do a search on bellows, I posted some plans to build some a while back.
I used an old shelf for the wood and some leather out of the scrap bin at a fabric store -- any thick upholstery fabric would work too.

Much safer than accidentally taking a breath with the pipe in the oven. And the bellows will blow the ash clear too.

About the brush, I have rather stringent budget concerns myself.... I use a wooden handled wall paper brush screwed to a long stick. Dip it in water or mist the bristles and sweep...
Old 07-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Apprentice

Re oak firewood
I burn a lot of firewood keeping 3 buildings heated through 6 months of snow cover and of all the types of wood I burn oak can be the most tricky , The local red oak has to be aged 2 years before most of the locals will touch it . if it hissed or foam /wettness shows up on the end it's wet! Try putting the next firings wood in the oven when you have finished cooking and leave it in with the door open to ''force dry''
tim
Old 08-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Serf

I cheat I use charcoal starter packs. I build the logs up like Tscar but instad of newspaper I put the starter pack on a thin piece of wood and light the pack on fire. Fastest way I have fould to get a good fire going. You can find them at home depot or I have a recipe somewhere on making them yourself.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Someone on a previous thread suggested used and dried teabags with the strings removed, placed in a jar of methylated spirits. I now do the same. I used to compost them but they don't break down for some reason and the strings are a nuisance.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Try putting the next firings wood in the oven when you have finished cooking "

.. and after the fire is out and the oven has cooled to 400 F or lower.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Peasant

Actually a good idea to just reload the oven for the next lighting the day after pizza. Today is Wednesday, I did a roast chicken on Sunday, and it's still hot to the touch inside my oven. The next firing is definitely dried out.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Someone on a previous thread suggested used and dried teabags with the strings removed, placed in a jar of methylated spirits.
USA translation: methylated spirits = denatured alcohol.
I'm wondering where you'd find all those used teabags
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Apprentice

Cedar fence boards from the home improvement store. Cut them into 14-inch lengths and them split them into small kindling-size pieces. Easy to light and generates plenty of heat.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Peasant

I'm new to this and still at the curing stage but i have stuck in a door at the very front with a hole at the bottom and i found that it creates a great draft and the fire starts very easily. The auld hairdryer to this hole really gets things going.