Old 06-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default SP5 vs KitchenAid

James,

A further update on mixers that may make your heart sink. I contacted the main KitchenAid website about the problems I had with the 600. Response? "We don't deal with Canadian customers." The Canadian KA site has no "Contact Us" button, only a phone number. Tried countless times to phone, but got tired of elevator music and "your call is important to us." Finally talked to a human there today; she "never has had a complaint about our mixers." Wouldn't do anything except direct me to a repair outlet, so I could use the 600 as a "back up." You'll probably appreciate my thoughts on that one. Suggested she surf a bit and find all those outraged people who have bought lousy KA mixers. Shocked and amazed is a proper description.

Called the place where I bought it: no refund without the original box. Didn't keep it, big enough to park my Honda in. They did, however, relax the rules a bit, and I will get an in-store credit for what I paid for that boat anchor. More gear, just what I need.

Don't forget, the KitchenAid slogan is "For the Way It's Made." Huh?

Caveat emptor.

Jim
Old 06-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

But you did get an in-store credit. Better than nothing. What are you going to buy now?

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Just works

James,

Yet another update on the SP5. Good thing is there`s nothing to add. The thing just plain works and works and works, and I`ve worked it pretty hard over the last month. The only thing I`ve found is that when you`re working near the flour limit of this machine, it`s best to add it in two batches, just to keep the dust down to a minimum. Of course, wet ingredients go in first, with the flour on top.

Jim
Old 12-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Serf

Default Re: SP5 Performance

I have a Delonghi mixer that works fine an can mix a sufficient batch of dough. However, being the fanatic I am, I want to buy either a sp5 or the electrlux other people are suggesting. How do they compare?
Old 12-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I hope you can come up with a definitive answer! I haven't been able to!

At SFBI in August I looked the SP5 all over and it is super simple. We did not use it. The instructor said it produced dough that was comparable to what we made in the bigger sprials in class. Has only one speed - about halfway between the slow and fast speeds ont the larger spirals. One class member had the Electrolux and said the bowl sizes were the same. The Electrolux has multiple speeds and is more versatile. But it is not a spiral and uses a scraper. While I hear good things about it... I cannot lead myself to buy it! So I am in limbo land and mix by hand (which is not IMO a bad thing!)

Good Luck!
Jay
Old 12-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Serf

Thanks Jay
The scraper with the plastic cone looks like it does a good joy on the uTube videos.
Being stuck with 1 speed and 1 use seems limiting but if the sp5 makes a better dough then that is what I am looking for. I don't know the answer but hope someone does!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I feel the same way... What I want is a head to head comparison!

As am aside, SFBI counts rotations (of the sprial) as a way of mixing dough - which is converted to "minutes" using the RPM for the speed used. Our 5 minute/2-3 minute typical mixing pattern at speeds 1 and 2 (100 and 200 rpm) would become about 3 minutes and 4 minutes on the SP5 at 150 rpm. So it isn't quite as fast as a regular spiral, but it is a WORKHORSE as CanuckJim suggests!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:41 AM
Serf

Il Pizzaiolo
Thanks for explaining the professional approach to counting revolutions as the factor. That makes the decision easier. A machine must have a spiral hook. From watching the uTube videos, the spinning bowl keeps the dough on the hook and makes each revolution count for the entire dough mass.
Is my logic correct?
Thanks, Joel
Old 12-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lets back up... Fork mixers are the epitome of gentle kneading but they have issues getting started rotating. Until you get the dough forming you have to turn the bowl. My impression is that - while not a giant issue - they take more attention and time is probably not quite so reliable for the amount of mixing prior to dough formation is variable. OTOH, perhaps they are so gentle it is not a big deal.

The SP5 (as I understand it but have not seen in action in person) has a belt drive for the bowl so you can simply put the materials in the bowl, turn it on, and mix - but you should plan to stop it once after two minutes or so and scrape the bowl to incorporate the dregs on the side of the bowl. After that the spiral just gently works the dough. One facet of the SP5 that bothers me a bit is that the bigger spirals have a bar near the spiral and near the center of the bowl that aids in "cutting" and working the dough - probably a bit like the Electrolux wiper. However, I am told that the SP5 does just fine without the bar. And online videos seem to reinforce that. However, having only used larger spirals that have the bar and having watched the bar slice the dough as it rotates, I like the bar (but it does make cleaning more difficult).

I don't know the bowl speed on the SP5 but your logic sounds right. At SFBI most of the straight breads (and pizza dough would be similar) took 5 minutes on first and up to 5 on second. The instructor ALWAYS checked the dough after the initial mix, during the rest. Based on the feel (and windowpane) he would say "Give it another X minutes (or Y minutes and Z seconds)" and we would do that, and pull another window pane. Most of the time the second mix was only 2-3 minutes. (I will let you calculate how many revolutions those mixing times are!

If you ran it side by side I am reasonably confident the SP5 would have a slightly different number of ideal revolutions because the lack of a bar should give it slightly different mixing characteristics. However, nothing I have heard suggests that the difference is significant.

IF I were to order a mixer today it would be an SP5. My guess is that the Electrolux is reasonably equivalent, has similar capacity, and is more versatile. However, without direct experience I cannot reasonably assert that equality which is why I would go with the SP5.

The one piece of good news is hand mixing in the 6-8 pound dough range is pretty easy - particularly if you autolyse the flour for a half hour and use stretch and folds to finish the dough! And the dough is really lovely!

Happy Holidays!
Jay

My take is that the Electrolux does a
Old 12-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Serf

Wow, am I learning, thanks.
2 more questions:
Can the SP5 mix an high hydration dough easily without the scraper?
Is the Hausler Alpha better since its hook is at an angle?
Thanks,
Joel