Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Get Cooking

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Roasting a Turkey

Would a vent in the door be the answer ?

And re backdraft

what is the safest way to make lump charcoal in the oven?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
And re backdraft

what is the safest way to make lump charcoal in the oven?
Open it in the morning... never had any problems when I waited until the next day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
Thanks SableSprings for the info!! So can I roast a turkey in my oven with the door completely out and a small fire to one side to keep the temp up? I need a thin door made for my oven specifically for this type of scenario, unfortunately all I have is my tight fitting thick insulated door.
Although I think you could cook your turkey with a small side fire and the door off...it would involve a lot of fire maintenance to keep the cooking temp in a consistent range. In my earlier note, I meant you could leave the door ajar a couple of inches with a small, smokey fire going to provide some extra flavor to the bird. Removing the door completely means you'll be pulling a lot of cold air into the oven when you want to keep the oven hot. Hopefully you can just leave your door ajar a bit instead of pulling it out completely. My fire door is heavy & insulated, but I use it as a damper for my overnight fires by pulling it out on just one side a couple of inches.

Here's what I do for my Thanksgiving turkey.

I bring my oven up to temp, clean out the coals & ashes, close the fire door and let the oven equalize-usually takes about an hour. Once my oven temp is stable (shooting for 450-475F range), I put the turkey in (breast down) and close the fire door. I rotate the pan every 30 minutes or so, and turn the bird breast side up after the first hour. My 14-15 lbs of turkey takes between 2.5 and 3 hours to cook (with the door only open to turn/rotate/inspect). I will tent the bird and cover the drumsticks & wings with foil when they get that "almost perfect" brown. When the meat's up to 155-157F, I bring it from the oven to the house and pull the foil down tight over the whole bird. The meat's temp will continue to coast up to the 160F goal. Always let it rest for at least 45 minutes before carving...it will stay plenty hot and will be much juicer.

If I want a little smoke flavor, I add some wet hickory/apple/mesquite/whatever chips in a small aluminum pan. The pan goes in at the beginning-off to a side from the bird and I leave the fire door open an inch or so. The chips will smoke (& possibly burn), but they will impart an excellent smoky flavor to the bird. When I first turn the bird pan (30-45 min into the 2.5-3 hr bake), I remove the chip dish/pan of ash. After that, my oven door is closed except to turn the pan or inspect the bird's cooking process.

Hope your Thanksgiving is a great one!
mmissler likes this.
)

Photo albums

Last edited by SableSprings; 11-27-2013 at 10:47 PM.