Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Recipe web sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inishta View Post
I bought some software called 20,000 recipes or some such title. I thought it was rubbish and never use it.

I always copy/create a file on recipes I use. There is nothing more frustrating than producing something really good and then not being able to remember what ingredients and method was used. I tend to tinker with recipes to suit the occasion or how I'm feeling at the time, using them as guidelines. It's easy to delete if it turns out to be not so good.

I find it frustrating when we make something and it turns out great the first time and then we try it again and it turns out differently. Then we start to tinker with recipes.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
James,

Have recently converted to a Mac. WIll be very interested in your feedback on software you purchased.

Thanking you in advance
Richard
Ditto.

J W
Old 02-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Master Builder

I have a couple favourites to mention.

We have a couple food legends on our shores. I guess one might see the first one as more of a food journalist, however she has done here own cooking shows. Maeve is a bit of a legend and in this show she helps to showcase various cultures and the types of foods that are traditional to them. Check out Food Safari:
SBS Food Safari
The recipes are free and there is often some video to go with it. Search for the "Nans Chery Cream Cheese Strudel' recipe. I saw this the other night and figure this would be a great one for the WFO.......You could prepare it ahead of time I guess and then cook when ready for desert - simple in a way yet gastronomical.

My other fave which I've probably mentioned before is "The cook and the Chef:
ABC TV: The Cook and the Chef
Simon is a renown chef at the local Hilton and Maggie one of our gourmet queens - once again free recipes with video as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Damon,

Cool sites both. Thanks for them. Maeve, named after the legendary Irish queen, is quite stunning, really. Single? Phone number? Signed photographs? Fan club? Now I'm really in trouble.

Jim
Old 02-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Master Builder

...lol.....she is a few years older than me but yeah I'd agree she "holds her age well" as we say. See how I go with her number

Old 03-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Apprentice

CHOW - Recipes, cooking tips, resources, and stories for people who love food

This is more of a "foodie" site than one strictly for recipies, but - having recently discovered it - I am finding a lot of interesting stuff there. Some folks may remember the old "chowhound.com" site, which was mostly people griping about the quality of some obscure dish in a restaurant somewhere. That site was bought out in 2006 and completely revamped: this is the result.

I have not yet made any of the recipes from Chow.com, but I have looked at quite a few and I find that they 'read' well. But with message boards, local community commentary, stories, blogs and videos to explore I'll probably keep this one bookmarked for a long time even if I don't cook from it.

YMMV, as usual.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I've followed advice posted earlier in this thread, and have started going to Epicurious first. I'm having good luck with them.
James

Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Journeyman

This is an OZ recipe 'mega site' that I enjoy exploring. It has a lot of "add one tin of mushroom soup" type recipes to filter through but I have found many obscure and interesting recipes to inspire me. Search options for particular recipes are good as well.

Recipes

Enjoy.