Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Get Cooking

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 03:09 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Pizza Tray in WFO.

Excuse me, but I must be having a mental break down or just maybe a WTF moment. Many of us came to this site to be able to have, anytime we want a real hearth cooked pizza, pizza stone be damned. All the money, back breaking labor, pestering experience builders, with our petty and redundant questions. And now, "I dont want a little ash on my pizza, the floor is too hot and it burned, my pizza." I just don't get it, please enlighten me. Karangi Dude was right, I think I might follow his lead!

Confused in Japan.

Last edited by Laurentius; 07-05-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-05-2013, 03:12 AM
Master Builder

Faith,

Where's ELMER, when you need him? Bug's a trickster.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:59 AM
Master Builder

A little ash is good for the soul. Something would be missing without it. Bit like a stamp that says 'Genuine WFO Pizza'

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-05-2013, 04:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
A little ash is good for the soul. Something would be missing without it. Bit like a stamp that says 'Genuine WFO Pizza'
There are a couple of disadvantages to using trays for pizzas. First is that it slows the cooking because you have to heat the tray as well as the pizza. This also cools your floor off faster. It also slows the handling down because you need to remove the pizza from the tray and probably put it back in the oven to crisp the base. A metal tray tends to trap moisture between it and the dough base. I'm told the ones with holes are a little better in this regard. The traditional way is to cook directly on the oven floor.

Last edited by david s; 07-05-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Try the hollow handle of a golf club ( no pun intended )
Regards dave
Also a good choice but make sure it is metal and not graphite, the nice thing about both the golf club and ski pole is that they taper at the end thus aiding in the concentration of the air at the hot end. My pole is .5" ID at the top and .25 ID at the business end. I cut my pole down to 44 inches in length and it seems to be just about right for my 42 inch oven, you do not need the blow pipe to reach all the way to the back of the oven.

The hook allows me to hang the pole on my tool rack I use these on several of my tools. There is a small bolt that goes through the pipe but it does not seem to slow the air down much.
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Tray in WFO.-image.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 07-05-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Excuse me, but I must be having a mental break down or just maybe a WTF moment. Many of us came to this site to be able to have, anytime we want a real hearth cooked pizza, pizza stone be damned. All the money, back breaking labor, pestering experience builders, with out petty and redundant questions. And now, "I dont want a little ash on my pizza, the floor is too hot and it burned, my pizza." I just don't get it, please enlighten me. Karangi Dude was right, I think I might follow his lead!

Confused in Japan.
That is the sort of reply that is really useful to us that are less "experienced builders" than you demi gods of the WFO world. If you don't want to be "pestered" can I suggest you don't respond to the posts.
I was merely seeking advice, I don't remember complaining about ash or the hearth being too hot, just enquiring as to how I could rectify a problem.
I now have those answers from others considerably more tolerant than your self.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Try the hollow handle of a golf club ( no pun intended )
Regards dave
This is a great idea.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 AM
Peasant

Thanks everyone,
Beautiful weather, at last, in the UK. Cooking again tomorrow night. Have made blow pipe, and have damp mop close to hand. I'm also going to try starting on a tray and then crisping up on the hearth, can't hurt to try it.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchn View Post
That is the sort of reply that is really useful to us that are less "experienced builders" than you demi gods of the WFO world. If you don't want to be "pestered" can I suggest you don't respond to the posts.
I was merely seeking advice, I don't remember complaining about ash or the hearth being too hot, just enquiring as to how I could rectify a problem.
I now have those answers from others considerably more tolerant than your self.
Don't let replies like that discourage you (or any other person using the forum) to ask any sort of question you want....without the risk of getting flamed.

Ironically, it was that sort of reply which caused Karangi Dude to quit the forum...not what was asked, but how certain questions were replied to. A shame too, he was a valuable member.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchn View Post
Hi,
I had my first cook in my recently completed WFO a few days ago. A real success, so I'm delighted.
My only question concerns the speed at which the pizza base burns, and the amount of ash that sticks to the bottom.
I am thinking about putting a pizza tray in to get hot and then cooking on that to keep it of the ash and floor. I did sweep the floor, but perhaps not enough.
Does anyone else cokk on anything other than directly on the oven floor?
Thanks
Nick
Hi Trenchn,

I'm not trying to be a smartass or make you feel that you are a bother. Please take a closer look at your question and I'm assuming that you are an adult. The speed at which the pizza base burns, would be determined by the temperature of the cooking surface(brick, metal or stone) and the make up of the pizza base(sugar, syrup or honey would make it burn faster.) "To keep it off the ash and floor." So in my reply I stated burned pizza and ash on the pizza, did I make a mistake in my reading of that? In my reply I use the word out when I meant our, because I'm just like everyone else, I asked questions too. My point is that some questions can't be answered 100% without you doing a little work yourself, like taking a temperature reading of your floor if your pizza is burning fast, make sure that your are rotating it enough, so that it doesn't burn. If you get ash on your first pizza, trying cleaning the surface again before inserting your next pizza. If its taking along time for your pizza to cook, add more wood to the fire to heat up the oven. There are not right or wrongs in using tools such as trays, many people do. I'm sorry if I sound abrasive sometime, but not all of the time.