Old 06-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pizza Party for 100

One thing I do when we have lots of people all hungry at once is put in a large baking try with Dave's stuffed mushrooms in... only I usually leave out the stuffing and just sprinkle them with EVO, salt, pepper and garlic. You can do a couple of loads of these to go with the pitta bread without much effort, and it'll give you warm up for the pizzas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

How about using a large cast iron or steel pan to broil marinated shrimp (prawns). Butterfly the prawns, and marinate them in lemon, lime, EVO, pepper flakes, and garlic -- tequila if you have it.

Put the pan in the oven until it is hot, pull it out and throw on the prawns. Pop it back into the oven for a minute or two. They brown to a nice glaze.

That, Dave's mushrooms and some flatbreads with salt, rosemary and EVO can make a nice finger food appetizer.
James

Old 06-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
How about using a large cast iron or steel pan to broil marinated shrimp (prawns). Butterfly the prawns, and marinate them in lemon, lime, EVO, pepper flakes, and garlic -- tequila if you have it.
This is off the topic a bit, but should I plan on getting a new set of cast iron pans to use in the oven? I would hate to ruin 25 years of seasoning on my old ones by using them in it.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I have different indoor and outdoor cast iron pans and I store the outdoor ones in a wood hutch on the deck. I don't do a great job of keeping my outdoor cooking toys clean, so it's better that way.

James

Old 06-16-2008, 02:33 AM
Peasant

Thanks for all the advice, I tried making bigger pies, but with my technique, I got thicker small pies! I need a lot more dough handling practise. At the moment, it just goes really thin in places. I tried the mushrooms (unstuffed) and while they tasted great, they didn't look good, I think they were a bit old and tired before I started though. The shrimp/prawns sound like a good idea, but maybe expensive over here. Considering we are a fairly small island, fish seems to be an expensive item. Thanks again for all the advice, I look forward to handling dough as per Daves video! not sure how to fit it through the door though?

Thanks again

Simon
Old 06-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Apprentice

Maybe you could do the pizzas as appetizers and cut them into small pieces for people to sample. Then have the main meal a huge pasta casserole made up ahead of time, covered with cheese, and then stuck in the WFO for about 5 minutes to caramelize the cheese. Add a salad and there you go. The other option is to hire a caterer to actually cook your pizzas. We have talked about that on the forum before, but I don't know if that is an option for you. You are on the right track.....practice practice practice and think from many angles.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Peasant

Fish is hard to come by on a small island? Who knew?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groves View Post
Fish is hard to come by on a small island? Who knew?
Maybe just shrimp?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Laborer

Have you thought of asking some of the people to bring appetizers and some others to bring a desert? Some could bring a couple of pounds of their favorite pizza topings.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Apprentice

I did a pizza party for 111 people 2 weeks ago at our church where pizza was the entree and served buffet style. It took about 25 minutes to get everyone through the line once and there were a few minutes where they were completely out of pizza..but people were forgiving knowing that we were moving as fast as we could. We also did dessert pizzas at the end. I ended up going through 87 - 10oz dough balls.