Old 08-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Peter Reinhart at Ramekins

Loren-

That class must have been great. Was there anything you learned that you've been able to implement at home that you can share with us?

See ALL of my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Great question. How would you describe working with really wet dough?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Laborer

The main things I learned was to have balance of flavors on the pizza as far as toppings, not to have too much on the pie, and to manage your heat and know how to adapt to the heat you have in your oven. One example is he was cooking a foccacia in a green egg and the bottom was getting done too quickly, he turned a sheet pan upside-down and slid it under the sheet pan the foccacia was in, that allowed the top to catch up to the bottom. Also in the wood fired oven to raise the pizza to the top of the dome to give it a quick broil (I think most people know that). I wish I could work with him for a week, I would learn so much. Oh well, just buy more flour and practice…

As far as the wet dough goes I use to be very reluctant to stick my hands in to wet dough thinking "it is too wet, I can't work with that". Until he said to be sure to dip your hands in flour first then work with the dough. Such a simple thing I never thought of and it made working with very hydrated dough soooooo much easier. I can't remember the hydration % he has but it was something I would never have attempted to work with before. You definitely can not toss it, he showed us how to bring it up on your knuckles and start to spin it with the knuckles of your thumbs. That is the best way I can describe it. We also made the whole wheat dough that came out very nice. I think he is working on a new book about whole wheat. He is also in a partnership to open a new pizza joint in North Carolina.

I was just poking around and found the book here: Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: Peter Reinhart 1580087590 $35.00

One other great thing I learned was to use a quarter sheet pan for foccacia in the oven. I never even heard of them before (shows you what I know!). They maneuver so much easier in the oven. Found them here: Bridge Kitchenware - Search

Also use parchment under the foccacia...

I am not pushing any of this stuff; just want to share with you guys…

Loren
Old 08-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Apprentice

Loren
It was very nice to meet you too.
Prior to the class, I thought a few of the recipes I made at home had "wet" dough. This taught me that a real wet dough is almost more like a batter :-) The foccacia we made was the wettest dough I have worked with...but was SO good! I have made it about a half a dozen times since class and am learning to enjoy working with that dough. I have tried making almost an equally wet pizza dough and the biggest issue I have is just taking it from a large wet mass and cutting and weighing the dough balls. It is a bit difficult for me trying to cut, weight and some how roll into a ball something that feels like melting playdough. The class was great! If anone has the chance to go to a class/workshop with Peter Reinhart, it really is worth the cost. He was very personable to talk with, open to questions and comments and seemed to really enjoy what he was doing.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Laborer

I must agree that class opened my eyes. It really helps to see things done instead of reading about how to do things in a book. I will be on the lookout for his future classes. Earlier in the year he gave two on bread making at Ramekins. I believe he said he may be in the area next year.

Loren