Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Get Cooking (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/)
-   -   New Italian Terracotta Pot (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/new-italian-terracotta-pot-20106.html)

V-wiz 11-06-2013 12:14 AM

New Italian Terracotta Pot
 
I just picked this nice clay/terracotta pot, which as you can see is hand made in Italy. I wish the website wasn't only in Italian so i can read up on they're product, i have no idea how hot i can get this pot. Anyways id like to hear from you all as to what you would whip out using this pot, or if you do have one, what have you cooked?, im thinking some slow cooked stew, maybe lamb, but i have no idea.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2wovbq8.jpg

The inside is only clear glazed.

http://i42.tinypic.com/x4omqu.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/oumg5y.jpg

brickie in oz 11-06-2013 01:14 AM

Re: New Italian Terracotta Pot
 
The label is in English though?
Handmade in Tuscany.
Made in Italy.

Its Italian so it must be good, is that the reasoning for buying it? :confused:
Im not a fan of terracotta in the oven, it gets bumped and knocked then it breaks.

TropicalCoasting 11-06-2013 01:38 AM

Re: New Italian Terracotta Pot
 
Here is the English translation of their website

Google Translate

It seems to have the oven symbol in your pot but the one on the website doesnt?
It appears the oven symbol is only on the unglazed ones on the website.

V-wiz 11-06-2013 09:08 AM

Re: New Italian Terracotta Pot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 165014)
The label is in English though?
Handmade in Tuscany.
Made in Italy.

Its Italian so it must be good, is that the reasoning for buying it? :confused:
Im not a fan of terracotta in the oven, it gets bumped and knocked then it breaks.


I purchased it because I've been looking for one, it looks nice and its not made in China.i don't plan on using it in the wfo or at least not with live fire as it will get black, if i do put it in the oven i would have a aluminum pan under it so it slides in and out easily.

V-wiz 11-06-2013 09:13 AM

Re: New Italian Terracotta Pot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TropicalCoasting (Post 165015)
Here is the English translation of their website

Google Translate

It seems to have the oven symbol in your pot but the one on the website doesnt?
It appears the oven symbol is only on the unglazed ones on the website.

Thank you for the link

stonecutter 11-06-2013 09:44 AM

Re: New Italian Terracotta Pot
 
That would be great for baked beans. Beautiful pot!

Les 11-06-2013 10:41 AM

Re: New Italian Terracotta Pot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 165014)
Im not a fan of terracotta in the oven, it gets bumped and knocked then it breaks.

I was cooking a pot roast in something similar - I used a tool to pull it out and the handle popped off. :(

Greenman 11-06-2013 09:40 PM

Re: New Italian Terracotta Pot
 
I have been cooking in glazed clay pots and have no problem with them. I use them to casserole ox tail and such so I have not subjected them to extreme heat. Low and slow is the go for what I use them for.

The ones I have come from local markets and the like so no big names. I suspect that the local potters club may be responsible for them.

cobblerdave 11-06-2013 11:51 PM

Re: New Italian Terracotta Pot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenman (Post 165078)
I have been cooking in glazed clay pots and have no problem with them. I use them to casserole ox tail and such so I have not subjected them to extreme heat. Low and slow is the go for what I use them for.

The ones I have come from local markets and the like so no big names. I suspect that the local potters club may be responsible for them.

Gudday
I agree with the low and slow bit . I've got to replace the one with the lid that I broke . I have tried a cast iron Dutch oven but the hardness of the iron scraping across the brickwork made me try a pottery one there softer and easy on the brick I recon
Regards dave

Greenman 11-07-2013 04:01 AM

Re: New Italian Terracotta Pot
 
Hey Dave

That is true about the cast iron. I use that too but I like the pottery, seems to fit with the whole WFO experience better. Not sure if I could bring myself to put high temp silicone cookware in there. I expect that people have been using tagines and similar in stone ovens for millennia.

I don't think that there are many things better than the peripheral cuts cooked for 8 or 10 hours in the forno as it goes through the final throes of cooling.

IMHO


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC