Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Get Cooking

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 04:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New Italian Terracotta Pot

Gudday
I have a tangine which has a caste iron base that I use on my gas top. I love that style of cooking min heat min liquid max flavour from the slow cook. I'll have to keep my eye open to a proper base. I have used my one only once on a pizza tray to do do chicken with lemon and olives ... It wasn't half bad.
Regards dave
How about google these days for recipes! Something you have to regoggle for portions and the local name for the ingredients ... But as a home cook it works well.

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
I agree with the low and slow bit . I've got to replace the one with the lid that I broke . I have tried a cast iron Dutch oven but the hardness of the iron scraping across the brickwork made me try a pottery one there softer and easy on the brick I recon
Regards dave
Why not put a aluminum pan under the pot/cookware so sliding is easier?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
I have a tangine which has a caste iron base that I use on my gas top. I love that style of cooking min heat min liquid max flavour from the slow cook. I'll have to keep my eye open to a proper base. I have used my one only once on a pizza tray to do do chicken with lemon and olives ... It wasn't half bad.
Regards dave
How about google these days for recipes! Something you have to regoggle for portions and the local name for the ingredients ... But as a home cook it works well.
What are those tangines good for? Ive seen them as well.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
yes I think our post crossed with in mins, that happens.
Basically a tangine was designed to cook in countries with min water and min wood (fuel). The conical top means the seal is down low and you have minimal steam lost than from a conventional vessel with the lid high.
I recon it could be a winner when the WFO becomes a little bit cooler.
You just load it with your food, meat on the bottom, veg and the more delicate things on the top and add 1/2 cup of liquid max. Because it doesn't lose liquid like a normal pot you can leave it unattended for 2 ,3 hours because its designed not to take the top off to attend to the food all the time.
The food comes out fantastic, the toughest meat falls apart and the great thing is due to the low heat range it preserves all the flavours which would normally be destroyed in high heat cooking.
I've also tried a less traditional recipe, I did corned beef and potatoes and it came out really good.
I've been using it on the cook top for years but have only recently tried in the WFO due to my favoured pot getting a broken lid, cant think why I didn't think of it before.
regards Dave
stonecutter likes this.

My Build

My Door

Old 11-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Master Builder

Thats good to know thanks alot.