Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Need ideas for party food

Baked pita with humus and/or baba ganoush? Chicken satay with peanut sauce?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 AM
Laborer

Wow, all those sound excellent! Thanks! What else?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtloup View Post
Baked pita with humus and/or baba ganoush? Chicken satay with peanut sauce?
I have to ask, what in the world is baba ganoush?..?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetryart View Post
I have to ask, what in the world is baba ganoush?..?
It's a Middle Eastern dish similar to humus made with eggplant instead of chic peas. Lots of recipes on the web. I like to place eggplant on the grill and cook until skin is charred and the eggplant sinks in on itself. We like to serve it with wedges of pita bread that have been baked until crisp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 06-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Peasant

I just read What's Cooking at Karangi Kitchen this bloke seems to know how to cook and use a WFO
He has a recipe for Baba Ganoush, you may also get other ideas.

See; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/w...tml#post148126 (Whats Cooking at Karangi Kitchen)

WD

Last edited by Wild Duck; 06-26-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

We live in the tropics and eggplant grow here as a perennial. I have one plant and it produces all year round bearing more eggplant than we can use. Bugs don't seem to be interested in it and the variety we have is white. This is not a commercial variety because any marks on the skin turn brown making the fruit unsaleable. The big advantage is that the white ones are not bitter. We use it in so many ways, quite nice sliced and dipped in one third egg two thirds olive oil mixture and fried (we often use the sandwich press). I also use it for thickening curries by peeling, dicing and microwaving first then add to the curry where they break down completely. We also often make Babaganoush. I place a couple of them in the WFO once most of the heat has gone out of it. Pierce them ( they have a tendency to explode if the oven is too hot) allow them to cool and you use the mush inside, discard the skin. We also char grill it as well as pickling it. Our current plant is about three years old and has a trunk about 40mm diam. A truly wonderful, versatile plant.

Last edited by david s; 06-26-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:08 AM
Serf

Hi,
For my own party last month, I decided to make use of the services of an event catering company to deal with the food needs. Though I had to make some arrangements for them, entire food department was in their hands. It was a party for office staff and friends. So there were no kids. The catering people arranged some seafood items like shrimp. Then there were pizzas, sandwiches,smoked salmon and for dessert there were pastries and chocolate dipped strawberries.