Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Get Cooking (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/)
-   -   Mandolin (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/mandolin-2062.html)

james 06-06-2007 10:05 AM

Mandolin

This is completely off topic -- other than one of the recipes that we added to the WF Pizza e-Book calls for thinly sliced onions done in a Mandolin -- but we are making fish and chips for dinner this evening, and there is no better way to make chips than with a Mandolin.

Does everybody have one? Highly recommended.
James

Richard 06-06-2007 10:36 AM

Re: Mandolin

re you referring to the stand mandolin's with adjustable blades used by professional and serious home chefs or the simple V-slicer which is more reasonably price.

I use V-slicer. Great for getting consistent thickness for scalloped potatoes or onions.

DrakeRemoray 06-06-2007 12:15 PM

I have this cheapo V-slicer and it is excellent!

Amazon.com: Swissmar Borner V-Slicer Plus: Home & Garden

Drake

jengineer 06-06-2007 12:31 PM

A mandolin that is not a stringed musical instrument - what will they think of next

james 06-06-2007 12:45 PM

Hello Patrick,
Welcome back from the great north. I checked with Google, and the stringed musical instrument and the food appliance are spelled the same. I have a pretty nice one from Amazon (who are those guys?). It does different thicknesses of chips, and the main blade can he removed and sharpened. Which you cannot do with a plucked string instrument.
James

Alfredo 06-06-2007 01:31 PM

Funny, I always thought a mandolin made music and a mandoline made slices. I have no idea where I picked that up.

Invaluable instrument in the kitchen (both are, come to think of it). My Ex scooped ours in the Great Possession Redistribution and I miss it. The most basic model is perfectly adequate for home use. Think I'll drop these folks a line: Mandolines and Other Slicers

james 06-06-2007 01:41 PM

Ciao Alfredo,
Mi dispiace. Sorry about that. The one I have is a pretty dense grey plastic, with removable blades. I've never cut myself, and I alway use the guide that pushes the veggies. Go for it.

I donated a bottle of Peroni for the beer batter.
James

billrd 06-06-2007 02:42 PM

I have a V-slicer and its a great tool, but as soon as you get over confident and decide not to use the guide it will bite you. After neatly slicing 1mm off one finger I now always use the guide.
Once bitten twice shy?
Bill

Archena 06-06-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 11188)
Hello Patrick,
Welcome back from the great north. I checked with Google, and the stringed musical instrument and the food appliance are spelled the same. I have a pretty nice one from Amazon (who are those guys?). It does different thicknesses of chips, and the main blade can he removed and sharpened. Which you cannot do with a plucked string instrument.
James

* emphasis mine

Sure you can! It would be really messy and the guy who owns it will be really mad at you but mandolin strings will work like a cheese slicer....

Okay, I'm leaving now.... :D

JoeT62 06-11-2007 02:16 PM

I got one from my wife for Christmas - it is an extremely useful kitchen tool. I use the guide AND a protective glove. If I cut my hand enough to need stitches, I'm out of work (surgeon).

It makes GREAT waffle fries.