Old 08-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Mandolin

When I was in the restaurant business, we never used the guide, which was deemed a nuisance. We always wore a cut resistant woven glove on the hand used to hold whatever we wanted to slice, julienne, batonnet, or gaufrette. Although I tolerate getting burned (that seemed to happen often enough), I've never much enjoyed getting cut, and, I'm happy to say, I've never cut myself while using the mandolin while wearing the glove. And they are, indeed, a wonderful tool. Try slicing fresh white mushrooms very thinly on the mandolin, then deep frying them till browned and crisp. Season with salt and enjoy.
Ron
Old 08-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Journeyman

My wife got me one for Christmas a couple of years ago. I don't use it too often because it is "just one more thing to clean"... but when making lots of little veggie pieces it is indispensible.

I'm looking for a mandolin, the stringed tool for cutting pasta... but haven't found a source yet.

In general, though, there doesn't seem to be anything that my old, trusty, no-name carbon steel 10" chef knife won't cut up for me. all other tools are basically supplemental!

Last edited by BrianShaw; 08-27-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Journeyman

Brian

Is this what you're referring to?

Pasta Chitarra - Kitchen - NapaStyle
Old 08-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Journeyman

Indeed. Leave it to me to confuse a guitar with a mandolin. Thanks for the lead!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberg02 View Post
When I was in the restaurant business, we never used the guide, which was deemed a nuisance. We always wore a cut resistant woven glove on the hand used to hold whatever we wanted to slice, julienne, batonnet, or gaufrette. Although I tolerate getting burned (that seemed to happen often enough), I've never much enjoyed getting cut, and, I'm happy to say, I've never cut myself while using the mandolin while wearing the glove. And they are, indeed, a wonderful tool. Try slicing fresh white mushrooms very thinly on the mandolin, then deep frying them till browned and crisp. Season with salt and enjoy.
Ron
I never thought of this!

But Im gonna try it!

Sounds great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gotta agree with Brian on the chef knife. I have 2, both 8 or 10 yrs old and came out of those multi knife sets.....as are his, a no name brand.....sure keep a good edge fora along time, thats why I stick with them for everything.'

My wife and I tried a mandoline, she cut off the tip of her pinki finger on the first attemp. ;we never touched it again,

RT