Old 05-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Knife Sharpeners

Kasumi grit stones and a couple of another "noname" japanese (noname for me)
Old 05-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Apprentice

Use a Chantry sharpener (bascally two steels at an angle) and or my diamond steel for most of my knifes:

It's great if you don't know how to use a steel properly and can even sharpen serated edges, although I use a whetstone for my Sushi knife - never gets blunt enough for the steel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Why can't you just have a BBQ like normal people?"

Last edited by mmmhumous; 05-21-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm going to take Brian's initial question 1 step further.....what is an effective, FAST way of sharpening your cutlery? I too appreciate super sharp knives, but have zero patience in sharpening them (watching grass grow, paint dry, and the occasional root canal are more enjoyable to me). I'm not talking about dressing the edge on a steel (I've no problem doing that regularly)...its when then get dull. I've found myself buying new as apposed to spending the time to sharpen (which really pisses off my wife - we have 50+ knives, many have not been touched in years).
I know, I am and idiot...I'm thinking of calling one of the commercial sharpening services that service restaurants (they pick up and deliver on a regular schedule), probably won't save me any money but the collection will not continue to grow.
Any thoughts???

RT
Old 05-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Journeyman

I use a hone rod and razor strap. When I shave... I could use any of my knives to do the job.

My 44" oven in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My neighbor gets his professionally sharpened once a year. He said they recommneded it on the food channel and he's done it ever since. I found that surprising since he has a killer woodshop downstairs with probably $800 worth of sharpening tools, ginders, stones, wheels etc. that put a scary sharp edge on his woodworking tools.

-
Old 05-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ah tools, thats another story. My father taught me early to respect my tools, so I never have a problem spending all afternoon shapening blades, but in doing do it has jaded my thiking about my kitchen cutlery. My wife gave me one of those electic ceramic wheeled sharpeners for Xmas......been afraid to try it,guess now is as good a time as ever. The proffessional service is really what I am leaning to. Any good or experiences in dealing with one?

RT
Old 05-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Journeyman

"What is an effective, FAST way of sharpening your cutlery?"

I've actually found the tri-hone stones (mentioned in earlier posts in this thread) to be pretty quick -- about 10 - 15 minutes per blade. But I've also looked into professional sharpening and found that it is rather affordable. The only problem is that it isn't quick - can take between several hours (drop off and pick up later) to several days (ship to and fro a distant location).
Old 05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

10-15 minutes per blade, thats my experience too. I guess if you are dilligent and sharpen each knife as needed, it isn't a big deal. I tend to put it off until 6 or 8 knives need done...seems to take all day then.
I have no problem with a few hours or days wait from a service.....I've accumulated so many knives, it would be no problem to send a bunch off for sharpening.
I will try my wife's gadget this weekend, if it works - GREAT - if not, its off to the yellow pages for a sharpening service. I will post an update after I try this sharpener....I've yet to even open the box.

RT