Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Getting to cooking temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Wont you lose all you heat out of the flue being positioned the way it is?
He'll know when he builds that huge fire and lets it burn....
Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Getting to cooking temp.

HTML Code:
[I]Wont you lose all you heat out of the flue being positioned the way it is?[/I]

It is actually more isolated than it appears to be. The way that I framed the brick for the flue opening I can add a brick with a 6" half circle that will bring 100% of the flue opening at 10 1/2" height. I have hope.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Master Builder

I believe that would do the trick. Your flue opening and inner arch should essentially be even in height in your particular situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Master Builder

Your door opening is 65% of your dome height. Combined with the flue placement, it seems that you are pouring all the heat out of your opening and up the flue. The first time I saw that oven it seemed that the opening was disproportionately large for the height of the oven and the strange flue placement. I think you did a beautiful job on the rock-work and finishing, just the dimensions are off a little IMHO, sorry to say. I believe you are just on the design edge of the oven not working. I could be wrong and I hope I am. If so, I think the remedy is to make a slightly shorter opening height and/or move the flue farther out-board of the dome.

Thought about this for a while before posting bc I have never seen a posting here that said it won't work and I certainly am no expert. However, I thought about if it were my oven, I would want someone to tell me if it weren't going to work or if I was going to pour tons of wood into it to keep it hot.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Apprentice

I do not have another oven to compare mine with but I am happy to report that all is well in Pearland. As it turns out I was not being aggressive enough with the fire. We build a real inferno yesterday and made it to a 700 degree cooking surface in 50 min. with no problem. I did however get my first crack, bummer. Not to worry the pizza was great, and the crack can be fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting to cooking temp.-pizza-oven-193.jpg   Getting to cooking temp.-pizza-oven-196.jpg   Getting to cooking temp.-pizza-oven-199.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Getting to cooking temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn8tr View Post
I do not have another oven to compare mine with but I am happy to report that all is well in Pearland. As it turns out I was not being aggressive enough with the fire. We build a real inferno yesterday and made it to a 700 degree cooking surface in 50 min. with no problem. I did however get my first crack, bummer. Not to worry the pizza was great, and the crack can be fixed.
Well done!

The numbers you had posted suggested that you would succeed. In fact, you may be a little faster to pizza temp than most.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Master Builder

glad to here it.