Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Get Cooking (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/)
-   -   First Food (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/first-food-3327.html)

dusty 02-07-2008 09:46 PM

First Food

3 Attachment(s)
Started as the final curing fire to bring the oven to 800*, but we couldn't resist. I didn't have any pizza dough, so I raided the 'fridge and came up with some tortillas, cheese, and a left-over-from-super-bowl hot link. Primative, but we were excited.
Just after the oven started to turn white, I raked the coals to one side. My son Kyle slid the first one in with the wooden peel and spilled it on the floor. Whoops! The second one was better but we determined that the floor wasn't hot enough(crispy edges, soggy middle). I moved the fire to the other side, slid the third tortilla in where the fire was and it was much better.
Took some pics, but for whatever reason, our camera takes blurry pictures at night. When in doubt, blame the camera.

dusty

RTflorida 02-07-2008 10:12 PM

Re: First Food

its a good feeling, isn't it? Congrats!!!

RT

gjbingham 02-07-2008 11:00 PM

Way to go Dusty. I'm not sure that tortilla is dead. From the looks of the pic, it looks like it's still moving :)

asudavew 02-08-2008 06:30 AM

Great work.

Time for pizza this weekend Dustman! ;)

Go get one of those cheap bread makers from walmart.
They do a pretty good job of mixing and kneading the dough.
Just set it to dough only.

Congrats my friend! :D

Dave

Ken524 02-08-2008 09:45 AM

Awesome! The first cook is the most exciting (and usually the most creative... Super Bowl leftovers :) )

We dumped a pizza all over our oven floor back in January. After about 10 minutes it dawned on me that these ovens are self-cleaning :D.

james 02-08-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken524 (Post 23813)
...After about 10 minutes it dawned on me that these ovens are self-cleaning :D.

You cook hotter than the self-clean cycle on your conventional oven. How cool is that.
James

RCLake 02-08-2008 01:15 PM

Congratulations Dusty, Make up a batch of dough tonight and celebrate with many pizzas!! Can't wait to follow you success in making the perfect pizza.

n2iko 02-08-2008 03:51 PM

I just love your keystone! A little more light and the auto focus might lock in.
Nice job.

--mr.jim

dusty 02-11-2008 05:35 PM

Thanks guys! I know it wasn't much, but it was still cool. I was going to try pizza this weekend, but the wife went wine tasting/shopping in Napa on one of those "all girl" weekends. Figured she wouldn't appriciate us trying the cerimonial first pizza without her. I think I will attemt making dough on Tuesday and fire up the oven again on Wednesday.
Dave, We have one of those bread machines around here somewhere but haven't used it in years. I seem to remember the kids not being able to get used to round bread.:eek: Do you just throw everything in there and push start? 'Cause if it does all the work, and works good, then I am going to find it!
And thanks for the auto focus tip mr. jim. That makes sense. I though it was more than a coincidence that my daytime pics were fine but the nighttime ones were blurry. I will try adding more light.
Did you hear that George? Too dark! Told you it was dead!

I will try turning on my work light and keep you guys posted on Wednesday.

dusty

asudavew 02-11-2008 07:40 PM

Funny... I had to dig mine out two.
Was in the shed or attic.. can't remember.

But yeah just throw everything in and let it go.

But I do take the dough out when the mixing stops.
I don't like it to heat up to help the dough rise.
I like to let the yeast take it's time... improves flavor!

Dave