Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Get Cooking (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/)
-   -   EMT pipe (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/emt-pipe-4689.html)

Les 08-03-2008 12:46 PM

EMT pipe

Does`anyone know if EMT pipe would be toxic if used as a handle on cooking tools? My sister in law bought me an awesome peel - the handle is only 12 inches long, not going to work in my oven. I know some have used galvanized steel in their construction and there was no concern of it's use. This would obviously be closer to the food.

TIA,

Les...

drogers 08-03-2008 01:30 PM

Re: EMT pipe

Galvanized pipe is sometimes used to convey drinking water. Galvanized articles are covered with a zinc coating, people take zinc supplements. In my mind I don't see a problem. Others may have different suggestions.

dmun 08-03-2008 02:58 PM

I don't think zinc is toxic per se: if it were, a lifetime of working with copper-zinc alloys would have left me in bad shape. I do think that stainless tubing would be a better choice than galvanized pipe: it's heavy, and the welds will rust unless re-plated.

Groves 08-03-2008 05:39 PM

Zinc fumes are where the hazard comes in, but not so much in solids. Zinc melts at 787F or so. It doesn't boil until the 1600s F, but still, you don't want any liquid zinc around either.

Your oven is probably over 787F at times, but I don't expect you'll be leaving your EMT in the oven for long. Probably safe.

christo 08-03-2008 06:30 PM

I'm with Groves - I think you're safe.

Welding on Galvinized pipe is a whole nuther matter... stay away or at least stay away from the fumes.

christo

Les 08-03-2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 38313)
I'm with Groves - I think you're safe.

Welding on Galvinized pipe is a whole nuther matter... stay away or at least stay away from the fumes.

christo

Too late - I just welded the angle for the shovel (inside my shop)
Good news - I'm still alive (for now ;) ) Something is going to get us - Just had a physical and every thing was great except my blood sugar, 2 points high. They told me to cut out pizza - NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Thanks for the response - David, I wanted to go with something else - the boxes don't carry it.

Les...

christo 08-04-2008 05:38 AM

Glad to hear you are still with us!!!!

Don't understand the relationship between blood sugar and pizza - is it the dough/crust?

Christo

Les 08-04-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 38336)
Glad to hear you are still with us!!!!

Don't understand the relationship between blood sugar and pizza - is it the dough/crust?

Christo

I believe so - any processed flour is probably on the hit list - don't know why.

Les...

brokencookie 09-29-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les (Post 38343)
I believe so - any processed flour is probably on the hit list - don't know why.

Les...

Flour is a starch (carbs) which the body converts to sugar. The more refined flours become sugar much faster.
If you pair a starch with a protein your blood sugar will be much more even. So..... put pepperoni and cheese on your pizza :D and drink one less beer with it. :rolleyes:

Les 09-29-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokencookie (Post 41814)
Flour is a starch (carbs) which the body converts to sugar. The more refined flours become sugar much faster.
If you pair a starch with a protein your blood sugar will be much more even. So..... put pepperoni and cheese on your pizza :D and drink one less beer with it. :rolleyes:

Not gonna happen:) Unless the liver starts to show problems:( Thanks for the explanation!

Les...