Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Door closed or open?

With the door on it prevents any outside air (or more importantly O2) from coming in the oven. So if there are any un-burned logs in the oven, fuel gases are building-up in the oven with no O2 source. As soon as you open the door, O2 rushes in and ignites the fuel gases and you have a small explosion or maybe a big explosion. My take is allow the wood to burn down to coals and then close the door. Don't provide any more fuel and there will be no problem. A few smoking chips won't make much difference, so that should be fine......And yes I have felt the woof in my face several times, just be careful about throwing a fresh log on the fire and immediately closing the door. Then wait maybe 5 minutes for the hot fuel gasses to really build-up and then........open the door. You will get a woof you will not believe. Don't do that!!!! That is the scenario you want to avoid.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Door closed or open?

When we are done with pizza I rake the leftover coals across the oven floor, somewhat even and put my door on and let them set until I need the oven for baking. When I am ready to put something in I open the door and either rake the coals to one side, the back, or scoop out. The oven is usually good to cook at least for 2 - 3 days. We have a 24 or so X 36 barrrel design.

Derk