Old 06-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Different types of mixers

So what is the buzz on the new KAs? Mine are the older ones and I never had a problem with them..Is it the age old addige "it wasnt broke so we fixed it" which it todays terms means.."we outsourced the manufacturing of key components and reduced our overhead" but they never seem to care when product sufferes, how does that work anyway
Old 06-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thats exactly what I have read on this thread and severl others. several have mentioned burning up the windings as well as the gears, which I believe are plastic' Having never owned one I have no idea what all the problems are about..
I'm just looking for positive feedback on any of the popular brands so I can make an uneducated guess as to which will work best for me
Old 06-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Uno,

At one point I posted quite a bit on the KA 600, so you might want to search for it here. The basic problem is that the transfer case is now made of plastic with two wimpy screws holding it in position. The older models were metal and much more beefy. After three months of making bread dough, the plastic transfer case on mine cracked, and, predictably, the gears chewed themselves to pieces and you could smell the motor windings self destructing. You are exactly correct, outsourcing is the culprit. A quick web search for KA owner reviews will turn up far too many people who had the same experience. This is unfortunate. I grew up with a KA in my mother's kitchen. I'll never buy one again. Should have known as soon as they came in designer colors.

Jim
Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

As Jim notes, there are a handful of postings on the "new" new KA 600 here in the FB Forum. That is the newest professional one, which is supposed to have less plastic parts and be better than the bad new KA mixers.

Like Jim, I didn't have a good experience. A burning smell and a whining motor, and I am sure to burn mine out as soon as I start using it regularly again.

So, we will all be watching and listening as everyone shares their experiences with the new Cuisinart, the Viking and Electrolux.

Make sure you post what you have, why you picked and how well you like it here.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Journeyman

Wow I guess I hit the nail on the head..Figures, its the same crap with power tools. Used to be if you buy the best tool you keep it for a lifetime now your lucky if it lasts as long as the warranty (which they know) then trying to deal with the warranty process cost more in time (work lost) than just buying an new one all over again. I used to buy only the best tools and I still have many of them because my father taught me (drilled into my head actually) "if you take care of them they will take care of you" but now its really a gamble either their is something missing in a factory "sealed" box (home depot is famous for that one) or out of 3 of the same tools 1 is good. Its really something you have to "plan" for when your on a job site. I have an MK saw that is probably 15 years old and the only thing Ive had to replace is the blade. I recently bought a cheaper model at H.D. for a job I needed 2 on. Cutting brick was OK but when it came to the tile it was like cutting with a wood blade instead of a $80.00 diamond blade.. glaze chipping like crazy (from even the smallest vibration) same tile cut on the MK with a blade that probably should have been in the trash..smoooth as glass. But what can you do you have to deal with what is out there which means the customer gets charged more because you have to factor in these things. But the good thing is cheaper outsourcing is creating jobs in the world marketplace....yea right, it may be creating jobs but the worldwide impact on quality and craftsmanship as well as a whole generation growing up in a "throw away" society is also a hefty price for our children to pay...
Bummer about the KAs..