Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Get Cooking (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/)
-   -   Cutting pizza: wheel or knife (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/cutting-pizza-wheel-knife-3962.html)

BrianShaw 05-02-2008 04:26 PM

Cutting pizza: wheel or knife

Over time I've given up on my pizza cutting wheel and keep buying bigger and bigger knifes. I like the way the toppings stay in place when cut with a knife. What do you prefer?

james 05-02-2008 05:18 PM

Re: Cutting pizza: wheel or knife

Great question. I feel a poll coming on. :-)

Brian, how big is your knife??

James

BrianShaw 05-02-2008 06:54 PM

Twelve inches of finely-honed vintage carbon steel. Often it is still too small. ;)

nissanneill 05-02-2008 09:47 PM

I have some pretty big knives but at present, I've been sticking to a newish but sharp pizza wheel.
I am keeping my eyes open for a good quality steel blade to make a radiused cutting tool that I have seen elsewhere, (looks like a part of a wheel which would be around a metre in diameter and you simply rock it over the pizza rather than roll a 100mm wheel through the toppings).
I might even have to forge and then heat treat an old machette or meat cleaver into one. One of those exercise awaiting!

Neill

RTflorida 05-02-2008 10:15 PM

I use a pizza cutter. They may not serve cut pizza in Italy...but many Italians do eat it as Americans do. I remember being one of only a few at each restaurant using a knife and fork and most were locals, not tourists.....I had read of their practice - as the saying goes "when it Rome"......Of course we were only there for 2 weeks, may have been a coincidence.
Another rumor I'd like to dispel....They DO wear white athletic shoes in Italy......I was told and read in a guide book that Europeans do not wear the fancy athletic shoes we do here.....I saw locals everywhere - from a shop owner on Capri to a ticket agent at the train station in Rome - wearing NB and ****.
Back on topic...I always wanted one of those big half moon cutters, just have not bought one to this point>

RT

gjbingham 05-02-2008 10:20 PM

Funny RT,
In Sicily, if you wore tennis shoes at all, you stood out in the crowd as an American. I learned to wear normal street shoes to blend in and have never (after 8 years) gone back. I have tennis shoes around here somewhere. I just haven't seen them for awhile.

SpringJim 05-02-2008 11:29 PM

used to be that tennis shoes and jeans made you stand out as a tourist
....now the locals wear them as their finest...

I use a heavy duty wheel by KitchenAid....but that huge rocking knife would be tempting!

DrakeRemoray 05-03-2008 12:56 AM

I use the wheel that FB sells. It is excellent.

david s 05-03-2008 03:38 AM

I use a wheel but I want to make a curved blade with a wooden handle that extends the full length length of the blade with some scrap ss sheet. Have seen them and think they're probably better than a wheel. Faster cut, better is.
Shiraz taking over.

vincent 05-03-2008 04:35 AM

I remember my grandmother cutting her pizza with a pair of scissors. We use a wheel.