Old 06-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: cast iron pots

I have the one from Sams and it is a champ for low and slow. After using a regular dutch oven in the house, I would not go back due to a lack of legs.

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5dad View Post
I have the one from Sams and it is a champ for low and slow. After using a regular dutch oven in the house, I would not go back due to a lack of legs.
Does that mean my concern about damage to the oven floor from the legs is unfounded?

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Journeyman

Not at all - I too would be worried about the legs chipping the base!!! I would not use my legged ovens in the WFO.

Follow my build
Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Laborer

I built my oven taller so I could more easily work dutch ovens and roasts in and out of it. I'm still accumulating dutch ovens; particularly I'm trying to find a big one for doing roasts.

Some advice:
I recommend using a hook to move the ovens around rather than trying to grab them with gloves. Certainly wear gloves but get a hook on a pole to move them in and out.

Note how the good Lodge ones put a series of tight spirals at the top of their handles. That's so when you catch it with a hook, it won't slide around.

If you have an oven with a lower height then you'll want to make your own handles that are much shorter. Then you can use taller dutch ovens without worrying about banging up against the roof of your oven entranceway.

Generally I wouldn't recommend the ones with legs because they take up height if you're trying to use a hook, and they can scratch the floor if you drag them instead. So they fight back either way.

The pot lid handle that comes with Le Creuset baking ware are not rated for higher temperatures. They sell a high-temperature handle that looks like a metal knob you can use instead. However, for the temperatures you're intending to use, the conventional knob will usually work.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Master Builder

I picked up a large Lodge dutch oven ( no legs) and I fit a 12 lb pork roast in it this weekend. What a joy to cook with and the roast was awesome.

Now I'm looking for some of those Garlic Prawn Pots (Thanks Brickie and Doug) Brickie in oz gave me a good link to E--bay for them. They are about $17 each and $57 in shipping to Virginia...ouch.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Journeyman

Hello F I V, Brickie, Doug,

Have you looked here for iron pots of all sizes, with and without legs?

Best Duty Plat (Flat) Potjie

For our OZ members; How do you use the pots and what do you like to cook in them?

Cheers,