Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Serf

Default Re: Biga - anyone here uses it on their dough

Rossco,

Quote:
For too long I merrily tossed teaspoons full of yeast into my mix and wondered why there were thin spots in the bases and why they puffed up so much before I stretched them. Then I changed the recipe and only added minute quantities of yeast to the biga and the thin spots and puffing were a thing of the past
Whoa...my experience exactly! Even when I did a cold rise I still couldn't control the dough once it came out of the fridge. Frustrating times....

Just did a 24 hour room-temperature rise (no preferment) with some all purpose flour (Harvest King) and .05% fresh yeast and it turned out great. The dough doubled in volume during that time and I then turned it into dough balls. From there, they rose maybe 30% over the next six hours. Didn't get a chance to bake it as pizza in the WFO, but turned it into baguettes.

Eric
Old 04-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Journeyman

You gotta love the enzymes for preping the flour for baking. Also adds a much better flavor. I do all my breads with cold ferment and low yeast (wild if possible.) Can't go wrong with low yeast though.

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another view on Biga that I found interesting was that it is possible to create a starter with just flour and water which is allowed to sit on the bench for 48 hours. No yeast is added. Anyone had any experience using this method?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Master Builder

Yes you can create your own starter by leaving flour and water out on a bench. Then you develop and grow your starter until it's strong enough to make bread.

Biga, and poolish will never be a sourdough...apples to oranges biga and poolish are pre-ferments that use yeast.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Serf

I use a sourdough starter that I found here Sourdough Cultures It produces great dough.