Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Get Cooking (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/)
-   -   Beer can chicken (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/beer-can-chicken-6051.html)

Les 02-02-2009 10:47 AM

Beer can chicken

What temp and how long do you cook this? I made pizza's Saturday night, 2 batches of bread Sunday morning, and when I went out this AM (Monday) the hearth was 247 degrees. I know poultry needs to be 180 - but I was looking to slow cook it all day. I may have a pile of ash when I get home tonight.

TIA,

Les...

Les 02-02-2009 05:41 PM

Re: Beer can chicken

OK - have the answer (sort of). Had the wife check it at noon - she tugged on a wing and it fell off :eek: She took it out and put it in the fridge for tonight. Sooo - at that temp - WAY less than 5 hours. This thing is retaining heat a lot longer than I expected and our night time temps are below freezing. Insulation is our friend...

Les...

james 02-02-2009 06:36 PM

I've never done slooooowwwwww roasted chicken. I wonder how hot it got in the thigh. Can't wait to hear more.
James

Les 02-02-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 50242)
I wonder how hot it got in the thigh. Can't wait to hear more.

I'm thinking 247 degrees. :eek: The driest chicken I have ever had. My wife is going to add a couple of quarts of mayo to hydrate it for chicken salad sandwiches. ;) Good thing chickens only cost a dollar a pound.

Les...

james 02-02-2009 10:13 PM

That's too funny. And to think, I would never have believed that you could bake dry chicken in a brick oven. :-)
James

DrakeRemoray 02-03-2009 03:09 PM

Les, I usually put a pot roast in the next day. That can handle all day cooking...

I brown a chuck roast and then add a bottle of wine, some carrots, onions and celery. Put it in a covered dutch oven and let it go all day...

Les 02-03-2009 03:32 PM

Drake - what's the temp when you put it in. And all day - something around 8 hours?

thanks,

Les...

70chevelle 02-03-2009 03:55 PM

IMHO, not enough fat in a chicken to slow roast. I do my beer can chicken at 400* for about an hour to an hour & 15 minutes. You can either use a probe thermometer (160* breast meat and/or 180* thigh), or poke the bottom of the thigh joint to see if you have clear juices running. I've done chuck roasts and boston butts slow at lower temps (<300*) for 8-12 hours in my WFO. Large chunks of fatty meats have a mind of their own. As the fat and connective tissue render, the meat can actually start to cool. This is the plateau, and it can take an hour or two to get past it. A probe thermometer is the ticket to properly judge when they're done. If you want to slice, internal temps should be around 180* if you want to shred or pull they should be 195-200. However, if you want to roast a leaner cut of meat to slice, you need to pick your doneness and cook at higher temps (375-400). So, to review: You cook lean meats at higher oven temps and to lower internal temps for tender results. Conversely, you cook fatty meats at lower oven temps and to higher internal temps for tender results.;) Hope this helps.

DrakeRemoray 02-03-2009 05:56 PM

Les, What 70Chevelle said is just right. A fatty roast like chuck or a pork shoulder, in the oven around 300 degrees and let the oven decline in temp for the next 8 hours. I usually go to 180 deg internal temp or slightly more on pork roasts. I guess with my pot roasts they could probably come out of the oven sooner, but it does not hurt them to be in there that long.

Xabia Jim 02-04-2009 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les (Post 50250)
I'm thinking 247 degrees. :eek: The driest chicken I have ever had. My wife is going to add a couple of quarts of mayo to hydrate it for chicken salad sandwiches. ;) Good thing chickens only cost a dollar a pound.

Les...

Might be good for soup!;)