Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Get Cooking (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/)
-   -   36" Oven Tools (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/36-oven-tools-19460.html)

K79 05-29-2013 05:04 AM

36" Oven Tools
 
Hello All,

I'm about a month and a half away from completing my oven...only 3 weeks until my curing fires !! I'm building a 36" oven and was wondering what length cooking tools I need. Peels, rake, brush etc... I'm looking at tools that have 47" handles but I'm wondering if 20" handle tools would work for me? Having never done it I don't know and I'd like to have my tools on standby once my oven is ready to cook some food !!

Your thoughts??

thanks

david s 05-29-2013 05:19 AM

Re: 36" Oven Tools
 
Your handles generally need to be a bit longer than the diameter of your oven plus the entry. Better to have them too long because you can cut them shorter. Long handles are a pain. You need to be careful you don't clock someone in the head. My oven is small so my handles are quite short and easier to manage one handed.

rsandler 05-29-2013 05:32 AM

Re: 36" Oven Tools
 
I have a bunch of tools from FB with 47" handles, and they seem just right for my 36" oven. Depends on the tool though. The tools you use to manipulate things in the oven while you're cooking (round peel, oven rake, brush) definitely need the long handles, because otherwise you're sticking your whole arm into the oven for extended periods of time, and probably can't see what you're doing. For peels used for loading the oven, you can get away with a shorter handle. I have a bunch of wood peels with 8" handles that I use to load pizzas in, for instance. I have a longer handled square metal peel that I use to load bread, but a 20" handle would probably work just as well on that one.

mrchipster 05-29-2013 06:19 AM

Re: 36" Oven Tools
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by K79 (Post 153942)
Hello All,

I'm about a month and a half away from completing my oven...only 3 weeks until my curing fires !! I'm building a 36" oven and was wondering what length cooking tools I need. Peels, rake, brush etc... I'm looking at tools that have 47" handles but I'm wondering if 20" handle tools would work for me? Having never done it I don't know and I'd like to have my tools on standby once my oven is ready to cook some food !!

Your thoughts??

thanks

I like wood handles with metal on the business end, not as cold on my hands in the winter.

42 inch oven. Longest tool is my ash rake 60 inches, the shortest is my pot and pan pusher-puller 36 inches.

Both work as designed.

Chip

K79 05-29-2013 07:04 AM

Re: 36" Oven Tools
 
What about peel size for loading pizza. The "business" end :) I'm not sure what size I would need. I was thinking a 13" rectangular but now I'm thinking a 15" would be nice. I have a 19" opening.

Completely different topic. When your oven is to temperature and you have your coals/fire to one side do you guys take a lightly damp cloth on your brush to swab the oven floor before cooking?

Tscarborough 05-29-2013 07:19 AM

Re: 36" Oven Tools
 
You will lose some heat in doing so. I have a tube I blow it clear with.

I have a long handled turning peel, using 2 hands allows you to work it. My other metal peel is about 36" and I also have one that is 18", either work for launching and retrieving.

14" is the minimum width I would get, even with that I sometimes have to use a screen for 16"+ pizzas.

mrchipster 05-29-2013 08:50 AM

Re: 36" Oven Tools
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 153958)
You will lose some heat in doing so. I have a tube I blow it clear with.

I have a long handled turning peel, using 2 hands allows you to work it. My other metal peel is about 36" and I also have one that is 18", either work for launching and retrieving.

14" is the minimum width I would get, even with that I sometimes have to use a screen for 16"+ pizzas.

I use a blow tube also, made from an aluminum cross country ski pole, tapers nicely at the end, but make sure your lips do not come in contact with the metal in the winter, I speak from experience there got stuck on the tube once, have a plastic or rubber tip on the lips end.

My metal peel is 16 round.

Chip

UtahBeehiver 05-29-2013 04:07 PM

Re: 36" Oven Tools
 
1 Attachment(s)
LOL, Did someone "double dog dare you" to stick your tongue on the ski pole.......

Christmas Story Classic

david s 05-29-2013 07:05 PM

Re: 36" Oven Tools
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrchipster (Post 153966)
I use a blow tube also, made from an aluminum cross country ski pole, tapers nicely at the end, but make sure your lips do not come in contact with the metal in the winter, I speak from experience there got stuck on the tube once, have a plastic or rubber tip on the lips end.

My metal peel is 16 round.

Chip

I also have a rubber tip on the end of my blow pipe, but more because after a few beers I've more than once bashed a front tooth on the pipe. I might have "lost my marbles" but I still have all my teeth and I intend to keep them.
Rubber on the end of your pipe is a good safety measure.

mrchipster 05-30-2013 04:33 AM

Re: 36" Oven Tools
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver (Post 153996)
LOL, Did someone "double dog dare you" to stick your tongue on the ski pole.......

Christmas Story Classic

No, just a brain fart the first time I used it when it was below zero and starting a fire. :o

Chip


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC