Old 01-24-2008, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: winter cooking ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
W I plan on waving a big flag and possibly some fireworks.

dusty

Fireworks are pretty! Try tossing a handful of bottle rockets into the plasma fire!

That should start the evening off right!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
Fireworks are pretty! Try tossing a handful of bottle rockets into the plasma fire!
Sounds like you know what you are talking about.

Another example of how you texicans roll?

dusty
Old 01-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Sounds like you know what you are talking about.

Another example of how you texicans roll?

dusty
Haven't tried it yet.....

but sounds like fun

heheh

My costs:

My pics:

Old 01-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Journeyman

I think fireworks popping in the WFO sounds a lot better than bricks cracking. This thread is starting to get me worried since at row 5 I"m starting to tie into the arch. I guess I resolve myself that cracks will be there but I remember a couple times at the end of a batch of mortar that seem to drying out and now I'm worried about that. Oh well those spots will be probably ok and it will happen somewhere else. It just better be able to cook!!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLake View Post
I think fireworks popping in the WFO sounds a lot better than bricks cracking. This thread is starting to get me worried since at row 5 I"m starting to tie into the arch. I guess I resolve myself that cracks will be there but I remember a couple times at the end of a batch of mortar that seem to drying out and now I'm worried about that. Oh well those spots will be probably ok and it will happen somewhere else. It just better be able to cook!!
Cracks are hard to avoid, just do your best.
I think the less mortar the better, but several of us have had bricks themselves crack.
As for cooking!
These baby's rule!
2 minute pizzas one night, bread and slow roasted meats the next day
All on one fire.
Just remember to insulate the heck out of your oven.!

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave, I am not sure if less mortar gives less cracks. We need to have a tally on cracks with little and mass mortar applications. I have mass on the back so we will see with mine.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLake View Post
I remember a couple times at the end of a batch of mortar that seem to drying out and now I'm worried about that.
Half of the building process seems to be worrying that you've done something wrong somwhere - I know mine was... (and still is for that matter). So don't worry too much about worrying. I'm sure your oven will cook beautifully.

The longer I'm in this forum, the more ovens I see being built and the more I fire up my own oven, the more I admire these oven plans. Simple, flexible, functional, brilliant. These are really cool ovens, with or without cracks, and don't you doubt it!

Acoma, interesting you should say that. I can't really see why less mortar should equal less cracks either. I can appreciate the beauty of exactly measured bricks and the skill of building a near perfect, near mortarless dome - but does it actually cook better or crack less? ...from a gut feeling I'd say it might last longer, and be more stable. I dunno, maybe not. Its certainly an interesting subject to follow up.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well .. my reasoning...

Less mortar = more bricks.
Which ,in my brain, means expansion and contraction would be more uniform. (I'm probably wrong here)
With lots of mortar and less bricks, less uniformity. The bricks expand and contract at one rate, while the mortar at another.
I think that would lead to more stress and more cracks.

But that is just what I was thinking. It sure doesn't make it true

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 01-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That's an interesting idea Dave, but I'm not sure if that's the case regarding a dome. If the coefficient of expansion of the bricks and the mortar was exactly the same, you would still have thermal expansion of a rigid half-sphere as it heated. It seems to me that unless the whole thing is floating, something's going to give (crack), somewhere.

My thinking - probably way off too. Where's dmun?

-
Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was thinking of this because some of us apply, or plan to apply cladding of an inch around the outer dome. This has its own expansion rate too, right? If the cladding is not an issue, and the back side of the brick has thin or thick mortar, then I see no difference. I might even feel that thick mortar on the back helps to prevent the cracks, but I am sure argument will follow to this.

Acoma's Tuscan: