Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Troubleshooting fire maintenance

Before you lower the dome (which may be a tricky process), why not do a temporary floor raising as Wiley suggests ?

This will give you definitive proof on whether or not the door height to dome height ratio is at the root of your problem.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Journeyman

Personally before doing and modifications I would get some scrap metal and build a simple draft door like in the illustration I made. There is a ton of turbulence in the vent area of a oven due to the exiting exhaust and the incoming air hitting each other and mixing. By dividing the two airflows with a door like I show you will supercharge the air flow. If it's an airflow problem this will fix it and then you will know and can decided on a permanent fix that doesn't block the door.

That said I personally don't feel it is an air flow issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Troubleshooting fire maintenance-draftdoor.jpg  
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Serf

It sounds like I need to relax a bit and just keep firing the oven to clear the moisture from the vermiculite layer. There has been a marked difference between having fired the oven the day before adding that layer and the performance of the oven since.

Thanks so much to everyone for your input.

Eric
Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Eric,
What kind of wood are you burning? I have had good luck with Oak from Rocky Mountain Firewood on Iliff. To me it sounds like your wood is just not dry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Serf

Drake,

I'm burning oak from Rocky Mountain Firewood (not the oak they get from new mexico, the barked oaked, but the stuff they get from Kansas I think.) It wasn't until my last visit there about two weeks ago that I found out how they stack those piles. All of the older wood is to the back of the pile. I was usually starting at the front and working my way back. That would explain a lot.

Eric
Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Apprentice

I also think you should oven dry your wood, using the leftover heat from the last firing and a door. What a difference. I can take pretty fresh wood and after a couple of days in the oven it burns really hot. Also, try out the wife's blowdryer. That will really get things going, plus it's fun as all get out.