Old 08-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Temperature ratings in wood-fired ovens

After you have fired your oven many times you won't rely so much on temp gauges, because it will do the same thing. Most take 1.5 Hrs for heat to soak the bricks and around 1Hr for the inside to go white. For bread or roasts a cheap oven thermometer that goes inside the oven is quite accurate and measures the temp where you want it.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Serf

I have read elsewhere on the forum that most people who install thermocouples tend not to use them after a few months when they have gotten to know their oven's characteristics. However, I am in a unique situation as the oven I am building will be used by a large number of cooks (at least 20) and I will have to have some way to tell them what temps/techniques they need for a particular dish or cooking style and have some way for them to verify that they are doing things right without any experienced eye to tell them if the dome is white enough or the flour burns fast enough. I hope this explains why I would like to install thermocouples. I want to put in two close together about half way up the dome on one side, one measuring the inside of the brick and one the outside. Will this work for the above mentioned situation or does someone have a better suggestion? I have decided to go with thermocouples that are rated to 800 Celsius or 1472 Fahrenheit. Will this be high enough?
thanks, joe
Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
the oven I am building will be used by a large number of cooks (at least 20)
Will they spoil the broth?

Your oven will rarely get above 1000 degrees f., and less on the inside of the brick. I think the only real reason to have thermocouples is to measure the saturation of the heat into the dome, so having two at different depths should be good. You may also want to consider planting a reserve pair while you're doing it, as they have a tendency to fail.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Serf

No, I doubt they will spoil the broth - I didn't mean they would all be going at it at the same time! I was going to try to make the thermocouples removable, either by using proper stainless steel probes with thermowells, or by using copper or stainless steel tubes to slide the wires down. Do you know if this works?
Thanks for all the help!
joe
Old 04-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Laborer

Regarding Heat underneath the hearth: I have 5" of structural concrete and about the same of vermiculite/cement under the 2-1/2 firebrick oven floor. I measured the temp of under the hearth today and it was 127F the morning after a pizza cook. Is that normal? right now it's still open, but I want to put a door on it but i'm concerned about how hot it will be for storing wood, etc. Do I need to add insulation under there? any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Rockwall TX View Post
Regarding Heat underneath the hearth: I have 5" of structural concrete and about the same of vermiculite/cement under the 2-1/2 firebrick oven floor. I measured the temp of under the hearth today and it was 127F the morning after a pizza cook. Is that normal? right now it's still open, but I want to put a door on it but i'm concerned about how hot it will be for storing wood, etc. Do I need to add insulation under there? any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
You don't need to worry about the safety of storing wood under there until about 450 F.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Paul - I have a 4" slab and 3 1/2" vermicrete insulating layer. The day after a pizza firing the underside is about the same as yours 115 - 125F. Initiallly, say in the 1st month of firings, it was more like 140 -150F. Once you drive out the moisture entirely and everything has curred the temp drops quite a bit. My storage area has always had doors on it and always seems hot and stuffy, but it isn't from excessive heat radiating from the hearth. I'm sure ceramic fiber board leaches less but I am happy that the underside is in the 125F range. I run my oven hot (hearth temp around 800 -825F for pizza) and the air temp in the storage area is typically around 100F for about 6 months of the year even if the oven has not been fired for weeks.

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned with what you are seeing.

RT
Old 04-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Apprentice

Ditto, we store some of our wood under the hearth. It gets nice and dry so it is easy to start. It doesn't get so hot to worry about ignition.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Serf

Hi everybody,

Ok I am new to this and would like to know what temp should i maintain to make a pizza and not burn the cheese
Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Apprentice

If the bricks are white. I throw a teaspoon of bench flour into the oven and if it turns black right away it is too hot. When it slowly turns brown in few minutes it is just right. That is the temperature I maintain.