Old 10-01-2009, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Temperature ratings in wood-fired ovens

Said deliberately, "mississippi" takes a second to say. It's a way of counting seconds.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 AM
Apprentice

But that isn't even close to clear in James' schedule.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Many steak houses using IR broilers up past 800F for grilling. Is this temp range somthing that makes sense in WFOs?

Since I'm still in the building stage, please excuse my ignorance if you find it.

Thanks

Chris
Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

WFOs do even better than 800. They can do in the 1000 to 1200 range - like Ruth's Chris. You will want to buy or make a Tuscan Grill. You fire the oven just as for pizza but pull the coals to the front of the hearth instead of cleaning the hearth - and put the Tuscan grill in a ways (can get tricky due to the heat! I use a long pair of fireplace tongs). Keep the fire going good. You will have coals about 2 inches below the steaks and the dome should be 1100+. You won't be able to cook a steak over about an inch thick any more than medium rare because it will char first.

My favorite way to do steaks!
Jay

Last edited by texassourdough; 10-09-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Texas! I remember a rare lamb loin, chared at about 850F, make that seared rather than chared. Although I also remember many chared rare sirloin baseball cuts.... Oh man!!!

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 10-09-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

By char...I mean crispy critters.... like charcoal on the outside... Not good! I went crazy once and tried to do a 2 1/2 inch t-bone on the WFO grill. Inside I knew it wouldn't work but since that's "what the Italians do" I did it. It was a mess. Charcoal on the surface and cold in the center. Never again!
Jay
Old 10-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I saw a show with Mario and the Tuscan butcher cooking over an open fire.. Those steaks were incredible..

C
Old 10-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Serf

can anyone give me some sense of the dimensions of the wood/logs you are using once you have brought the oven up to temperature to maintain the fire for pizzas? thanks. joe
Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Apprentice

What about taking the steak and just throwing it on the coals directly. Then pull it out turn over and do it again. Remove and brush off any stuck to it. You know "dirty steak." That works without any fancy equipment.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by proprio italiano View Post
can anyone give me some sense of the dimensions of the wood/logs you are using once you have brought the oven up to temperature to maintain the fire for pizzas? thanks. joe
The standing guideline seems to be nothing thicker than your wrist for the size of the wood. I don't always bother to split mine down to that size and have found that as long as it's good and dry it doesn't really matter once the oven is hot hot. Whatever size piece of wood goes in is in flames in under a minute, and to me the size of the active fire is more important than the size of the wood. That said, I use about a 5-6" diameter split max, or about double the size of my wrist.
I've found that a decent size active fire works best in my oven. I like to see flames reaching most of the way up the side of the dome the fire is next to.
It is easier to modulate the heat of the active fire with smaller pieces of wood, but for pizza cooking, I've never had a problem with the dome being too hot.