Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Heat Management

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Question about oven floor insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma559 View Post
I think I can still pull the brick out of the hearth because I didn't mortar them. I'm thinking of putting down a one inch thick insulation board on top of the concrete and laying fire brick on top of the board. Do you think that would work?
Yes, it will work...use splits, as mentioned before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma559 View Post
Yah I can do that. The bricks are lose with no mortar. It would just raise the floor about an inch and give me a dome height of 15-16 inches. Is that too short of a dome?
If you built a Neapolitan (low dome) oven, that should be fine too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Master Builder

Hi Puma,

Stop working on the oven, and put up some photos of your construction. Its better to make corrections at this point, than finishing something that be a disappointment forever.
Counting to 10 and allow the panic to subside, it will be alright in the end.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Master Builder

Puma559........my first oven was a pretty similar experience to yours - its under a thread. You will most likely get up to good temp and do nice pizza. It's the retained heat the next day where the biggest loss is. I found in comparison to others here you end up having to do pizza and bread in the one days firing, as opposed to a lot of bottom insulated ovens and can do successive loads here they can't really do bread until the next day. This is assuming pizza temps the night prior.

Doing what has been suggested so far will def. bring benefit and worth the effort.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Serf

As long as I can make pizza and roast different meats I'm happy with that. I'm going to test it out and see how it works. I can easily pull the hearth bricks out and add the insulation.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Journeyman

Mate, you should be good to go. I take it from your description that the floor bricks are inside the dome walls. If this is the case, you just pull the bricks out, add some insulation, and put them back in. For example, if you added two inches of insulation, then your internal dome height would become 15 inches, and your opening height becomes 10 inches.
This brings the oven opening ratio down from 12/17=0.71 to 10/15 = 0.67.
Since most people reckon it should be 0.63 plus or minus a bit, this is good.
I have a 9.6 inch opening, I would not want it to be any lower than that, but 10 inches should be fine.
Then just insulate the heck out of the dome. It will work fine.
deejayoh likes this.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
I have a 9.6 inch opening, I would not want it to be any lower than that, but 10 inches should be fine.
It always comes done to size!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: Question about oven floor insulation

It's a pretty huge turkey that's 10" high.
Take a tape measure to your supermarket.

It's a male thing. Usually the size of the member is inversely proptional to the cubic capacity of the (oven) or motor of the car you drive.

Last edited by david s; 03-20-2013 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Home brewed cider
Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Serf

I decided to pull the floor brick out and I'm thinking of putting in a 2 inch layer of vermiculite mix. Something is better than nothing by hay would bring my interior dome height to 15 inches. I saw bags of vermiculite and perlite at Home Depot. Is that the right stuff to use? I'm also going to try and remove the top layer of clay brick and add at least a 4-6 inch layer of the mix.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with others that this seems fixable. Do what Wotavidone recommends for the floor.

I would not recommend using splits on the floor. Use the firebrick you already have. Splits won't hold heat and if you don't want an oven that holds heat, there's really no sense adding insulation.

Also, I'd remove the red brick from the dome and insulate as others have suggested.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I agree with others that this seems fixable. Do what Wotavidone recommends for the floor.

I would not recommend using splits on the floor. Use the firebrick you already have. Splits won't hold heat and if you don't want an oven that holds heat, there's really no sense adding insulation.

Also, I'd remove the red brick from the dome and insulate as others have suggested.
That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm about to start pulling the layer if red brick off right now