Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Heat Management

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Poll: How hot is the outside of your igloo?

I bought 3 boxes of the insulfrax insulation for my 36 inch oven. It gave me enough material to clad my dome in four layers and still have a little left over (anyone want it?). Then about an inch or so of 3 layer stucco. The exterior of my igloo have never gotten hot, it has always remained just about the temperature of the ambient air, even after a few hours of 850 degree plus heat inside the dome. As someone mentioned in an earlier post the connection between the dome and the double wall chimney does get warmer as does the chimney itself, but you would have to reach up to burn yourself (if you're into that kind of thing).
Old 02-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is all great news. Everyone keep piping in. This thread will be of invaluable assistance to future builders...including myself given that this stage of my project is in my future (on the order of days though!).

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 02-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry but I cheated and had a WFO company build mine for me.

I recall that they used some very thick insulation and I will see if I can find out the details as they are coming back to fix a problem.

Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebwi View Post
@heliman: That's great. Let us know how you insulated it.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman View Post
Sorry but I cheated and had a WFO company build mine for me.

Rossco
Was the company the mob in Freo by any chance?? And if so have you been to any of their Demo days??
Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There are a couple in Freo these days - yes, it was one of those. Have had the oven about 7 years now and went to a few of the sessions in the early days.

Had one of the guys come around to show me how to bake bread too - from memory we made about 14 loaves which was a problem with only 2 of us in the house!!!

BTW I work in Osborne Park and there is a place nearby called Kitchen Warehouse and they have a woodfired oven inside the shop. They have lots of pizza related gadgets too and often do classes on cooking/pizza making which I believe is quite well supported. I got my tomato sauce attachment from there yesterday. Worth popping in if you are in the area.

Rossco
Old 02-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Apprentice

Hey Rossco,
I live in Atwell, and we have a brand new Kitchen Warehouse just up the road at the new South Central Cockburn aswell as a new Bunnings and heaps of other shops. I do love that shop (could spend a lot of money in there!!!) and I did pick up a book called 100 Pizzas and Flatbreads from there. But they also have a WFO their store and do demos too. I did a cooking demo with the mob I bought my kit off in Forestfield and was really suprised at what can be done! Really recomended that everyone goes to atleast one show to see what their WFO can really do!!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Poll: How hot is the outside of your igloo?

My 40" Pompeii is insulated with a 1" superwool blanket (I think that there is a second layer over the top section also), and then 3" of vermiculite cement and then a 1/2" render.
After a roaring fire, the oven over 500˚C for a couple of hours, the top and any parts of the dome outside is only ambient air temperature, ie. no appreciable increase in temperature.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 02-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

@nissanneill: Wow, 1" blanket + 3" vermicrete on the sides and 2" blanket + 3" vermicrete on the top with no noticeable heat. That's incredible. Nicely done.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 02-11-2010, 03:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Keb,
The only place i get heat is around the entrance way bricks.. they will get up to 200 degrees (f) during heat up... I can run the oven for hours and the snow wont melt off the top,,,,

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Serf

I have 2 inches of kaowool, and approximately an inch of vermicrete on my igloo, all in town if you want to come and look. No noticable heat on the outside of the dome when at full temperature, and the underside of the concrete slab that the dome rests on gets to about 100 degrees F.