Old 09-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven in the snow

James, my house sits around 4700 ft and change. We didn't get snow last night but the hill did. There were chain requirements over some of the passes. The bummer about this weather is that Street Vibrations kicked off yesterday. 50,000 plus motorcyles were expected to come into town for the weekend. It's going to smell like a barnyard with all the wet leather

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

It's a small world. Two of the builders working on our house are riding your way this weekend.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Master Builder

This is where cogeneration and expertise form the Power Generation Section may come in hand. You are losing BTU's from the temperature of the air that is used. It sounds like a prime time for cogeneration. Generally this is where the fire flue gases from a power station is used to heat up a secondary source for generation. A steam plant is a good example, the boiler is heated to get steam to run a turbine. Generally the flue gases go out of the stack. A secondary system can use that heat from the flue gases to run a heat pump, a low pressure turbine for electricity or a low pressure steam facility to produce heat for buildings.

So what is needed is a pre-heat of the air. This could be accomplished by wrapping metal tubes in the around the inside of the flue. Running water or some other medium in the tubes to a radiator that is placed in the front of the door so that air entering is heated up by the radiator. Didn’t I post something about a guy that had a bunch of spare copper tubing after a house re-pipe and using his BBQ to heat up circulating water for his pool? In this case he has to keep the water flowing fast enough to keep his joins from de-soldering Redneck Pool Heater .

Rube Goldberg comes to mind
Old 09-21-2007, 02:42 PM

Cheese Louise,

For about 10 cents more he could have made a solar pool heater.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Patrick,

You bring up an old thought of mine as to why sterling engines haven't taken off.

Stirling engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You would think that in a cold environment, people would be using the residual heat from chimneys, ovens, etc.. for free power.

Les...

Old 09-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Cheese Louise,

For about 10 cents more he could have made a solar pool heater.
Silly boy - solar is for eco-nuts. He's a redneck - He didn't have a choice. It had to be the BBQ or a pick up and there isn't room in that pool for a pick up.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 09-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ah yes - but there IS room for a pool in a pickup

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
Oven in the snow-untitled.jpg  

Old 02-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Serf

Default Re: Ovens in Snow

well. i wish i had read that before i did a dozen loves......and i too have alot of cladding over my dome...including a 2900 refractory safe blanket...oh biy.....im not sure im gonna have good bread tonight.