Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Heat Management

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 03:33 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: My Pompeii Design

I do the old throw in a bit of wood and close the door thing too.

That works for flavoring, but it's not the same as using smoke to disinfect food and dehydrate it, which is what you are doing when you make ham, bacon, smoked jerky, biltong, etc.

I was looking for some positives in this design.
Too be honest, there aren't many. Certainly not enough to justify the extra expense and complexity because, really it'd never be as good as a proper smoke box for making mettwurst, salami, etc.

Last edited by wotavidone; 03-20-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Serf

Yeah I had the idea too of having the external firebox potentially as an auxiliary heat source and/or for a second method of cooking. However, I am thinking now that the costs are too high for the benefits of the design. I'll keep posting here for relevant heat management topics (i.e. once I test my refractory materials). I have a question for you guys. Has anyone tried to sear meat on the oven floor? If so, what temperature should the floor be and what was your method?

Thanks guys,
Adam
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Serf

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. While I'm still talking about heat management, does anyone have suggestions about temperature monitoring (i.e. thermocouples, RTD's). I would love to have real-time data about my oven temperatures at specific locations in the dome. I realize that they do not have too much of a practical use once you get to "know" your pizza oven. However, I would love to have this system as a novelty. I already have an infrared gun (rated up to 1000F), but am still interested in a temperature monitoring system. I searched the forums for people who have built this type of system, but did not find too much details on their setup or even specific products they used (brands, type of displays, etc.). What are your thoughts?

Adam
Old 03-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderadam View Post
Yeah I had the idea too of having the external firebox potentially as an auxiliary heat source and/or for a second method of cooking. However, I am thinking now that the costs are too high for the benefits of the design. I'll keep posting here for relevant heat management topics (i.e. once I test my refractory materials). I have a question for you guys. Has anyone tried to sear meat on the oven floor? If so, what temperature should the floor be and what was your method?

Thanks guys,
Adam
Hi Adam

I haven't cooked any meat directly on the floor of my oven but often use a tuscan grill to cook meat, steaks particularly and butterfly lamb leg. The steaks take about 60 seconds each side when the oven is fairly hot and they are prime. The lamb I cook a bit away from the coals and cook it much slower. It all ends up moist and very tasty.

I am not into meat still dripping blood but because of the radiant and reflected heat this method cooks quickly and thoroughly.

I don't have any thermocouples or technology other than an IR Thermometer (which gets less and less use as time goes by) and I reckon that learning about the performance of your oven from scratch and experience is part of the magic of this ancient cooking appliance.

Just my humble opinion.
cobblerdave and Liteceeper like this.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 03-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have, and the oven makes great dirty bacon too. I do prefer cooking meat by raising a grilling screen with a couple bricks and using coals underneath. Direct floor method is great when you're in a hurry, and it does a fine job.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
I am not into meat still dripping blood
What!!? Nothing better than a nice rare steak.
Knock his horns off, wipe his arse, throw him on a plate.
The blood just makes a nice dressing for the salad, I reckon.

Lamb, goat and venison should still be at least pink inside.

I do believe chicken and pork should be fully cooked.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:01 AM
Master Builder

Hey Wota - I don't do the done to death thing either. All of the little creatures are good on the pink side. I have not encountered the horns - arse - plate since I was in Far North Queensland loading cattle for the railways a very long time ago. We used to call them 'Agents Picnics'. Usually involved the one out of the 750 head being loaded that would not run up the race.

Venison is beyond my experience but I will take young goat before any lamb day.

The rib bone tells the difference between lamb and goat and rabbit and cat.

Kentucky Fried and it all tastes like chicken!!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 03-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderadam View Post
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. While I'm still talking about heat management, does anyone have suggestions about temperature monitoring (i.e. thermocouples, RTD's). I would love to have real-time data about my oven temperatures at specific locations in the dome. I realize that they do not have too much of a practical use once you get to "know" your pizza oven. However, I would love to have this system as a novelty. I already have an infrared gun (rated up to 1000F), but am still interested in a temperature monitoring system. I searched the forums for people who have built this type of system, but did not find too much details on their setup or even specific products they used (brands, type of displays, etc.). What are your thoughts?

Adam
One thing I've learned after 20+ years working as an engineer is that when you come across a design that has been in use for a long time, and in the case of a WFO we're talking 2+ milenia then it is an excellent engineering design.

It may appear simple, it may just beg for "upgrading" but I can assure you that there has been a tremendous amount of R&D over several generations to perfect the design that is still in use today.

Sure, we're using modern materials and tools that may be "better" in some ways. But I'm just old enough to appreciate the approach of, "Build it to the plans, and enjoy it!"
deejayoh, ATK406 and Liteceeper like this.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Journeyman

Well said, Paul.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
We used to call them 'Agents Picnics'. Usually involved the one out of the 750 head being loaded that would not run up the race.

Venison is beyond my experience but I will take young goat before any lamb day.
That'll teach that pesky steer to do what it's told.

Venison is magnificent meat, if you can knock off a young one. The backstrap, cut into medallions and just cooked. Yum.
My youngest son is not a big meat eater at all, but he rates venison higher than any steak he's ever had, and tucks in when it's on the menu.
Trying to organise a goat shooting trip soon. I haven't eaten goat for years, but I reckon a few kids would be just nice.
And the missus loves it, so should be no trouble getting the leave pass.

Tags
pompeii, white oven