Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Heat Management

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: My Pompeii Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderadam View Post
Hello,

I am considering building a wood fired oven this summer. I primarily want to make pizza in it but would also like to be able to make pot roasts and artisan breads. This past month I reviewed Forno Bravo's pompeii oven plans and searched numerous forums about pizza ovens. I like the concept of the spherical dome to efficiently diffuse heat and maintain even heat. While brainstorming different ideas, my dad and I came up with an idea of having an external firebox. I soon learned that this design is called a "white oven", in contrast with the standard "black oven". From my research I have realized that there is not too much information on "white oven" designs. Also, not many people have designed and constructed this type of design. My original thoughts of the benefits of a "white oven" were to:

1.) Eliminate fire ash and reduce smoke in the cooking dome
2.) Add a design challenge to the project
3.) Potentially maximize the heat management of the oven

I am in the process of making preliminary CAD sketches and assemblies to both propose design specifications and communicate my ideas. I will post these as soon as they are sufficient to be understood by other forum members. I am open to any suggestions/comments about my project and look forward to your input.

Adam
One of the things I'm less than happy about with my oven is that it has too little smoke. I'd like a little more smoke flavour in my food.
I dunno about heat management, but my ordinary "black" oven seems to be very heat effficient. Very little is wasted, and it gets very hot, hence, not enough smoke when cooking my pizzas.
I reckon there are enough challenges in building an ordinary black oven.
I'm about to embark on oven number three - I must be mad.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Serf

Hey guys,

I am soon going to start some testing on different components of a Pompeii oven. I first will test some refractories I found locally. I will test Whiticre Greer buff firebrick, Empire S firebrick, Clipper-DP firebrick, and KS-4 Plus castable refractory. I can not wait for my testing! I will be sure to post the results I find about different heat properties of these materials.

Adam
Old 03-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
One of the things I'm less than happy about with my oven is that it has too little smoke. I'd like a little more smoke flavour in my food.
I dunno about heat management, but my ordinary "black" oven seems to be very heat effficient. Very little is wasted, and it gets very hot, hence, not enough smoke when cooking my pizzas.
I reckon there are enough challenges in building an ordinary black oven.
I'm about to embark on oven number three - I must be mad.
This is a new one....somebody that doesn't like how efficient their oven is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Serf

Hey stonecutter,

I'm not sure what you were trying to get at in your last post. Wotavidone was just saying his oven WAS efficient. However, I don't think I mentioned too much about maximizing efficiency. If you look at my first post , one of my goals is about heat management. I mean more than just the amount of fuel vs heat absorbed by the oven. I also mean the ability to control heat flow and direction (i.e. heat management). If I missed something you meant please comment.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 03-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderadam View Post
Hey stonecutter,

I'm not sure what you were trying to get at in your last post. Wotavidone was just saying his oven WAS efficient. However, I don't think I mentioned too much about maximizing efficiency. If you look at my first post , one of my goals is about heat management. I mean more than just the amount of fuel vs heat absorbed by the oven. I also mean the ability to control heat flow and direction (i.e. heat management). If I missed something you meant please comment.

Thanks,
Adam
He said he was less than happy with the oven having too little smoke. A well built, properly dried, correctly fueled oven won't be smoky. It was meant to be tounge in cheek, not literal.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-20-2014, 05:48 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
He said he was less than happy with the oven having too little smoke. A well built, properly dried, correctly fueled oven won't be smoky. It was meant to be tounge in cheek, not literal.
It's all good mate, I took it in the spirit intended.
It gave me a bit of a grin, but surely I'm not the first? Most people I meet who have never had wood oven pizza expect it to be smoky, and are surprised when it isn't really. After all this time, it still blows me away how efficient these things are.

Adam, in a standard Pompeii, you can move the fire around to influence where the heat ends up, in addition to how much fire you build. The firebox thing would result in lower max temps, too.
However, I can see a couple of advantages with your oven design.
For example you could raise the temp in your oven while the bread is still in there. If I find the temperature of my oven has dropped further than I would like when I'm baking bread, I can't do much about it.
And smoking would be a little easier, I think. Might even be able to do cold smoking.
I suggest that if you make the flue of such a size that you can match it to some sort of drop in firebrick plug, you could make this quite versatile - use the remote firebox for the slower cooking tasks, or plug the flue with a drop in brick and light the fire inside the dome for the times you want 90 second pizzas.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If I wanted to smoke up whatever I was cooking, then it would be as simple as putting green wood on the coals. That might be a worth experiment next time I have a steak in there.

I wouldn't even relate this design to a black oven or a masonry heater at all, but closer to a hot smoker.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 03-20-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

When cooking a roast I sometimes toss half a handful of smoking chips onto some leftover coals, place the roast, close the door. With no oxygen available the chips smoke nicely rather than burn with flame.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

David,
I've been doing something similar, lately. Though, I start the chips outside the oven. Same principal as your's, with the door shut, they don't flame up.

I use an old ss water strainer basket, but there are some "readimades" marketed for BBQ folks. This repurposed contraption works great in my oven using small chips .

Edit: In the smoked up ss bowl on the right, I am doing something like you, The coals are in the bottom of the pan. Placed on top of them are the left overs from cutting up onions. A great smell and flavor boost for the smoke.

"There is a snake in the garden."

Last edited by Gulf; 03-20-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is a great idea Gulf. I have one of those chip boxes made for grills, but I like the look of that thing better.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Tags
pompeii, white oven