Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Heat Management

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 AM
Serf

Default Re: Log holder and fire quality

i am intrigued by the log holder, but have a maybe silly question: do you just need one of these, so the logs sit on the holder with one side and on the floor with the other or should you use two, one on each side of the logs?
thanks
Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 AM
Apprentice

I only have one and that's enough.

The more I've used the log holder, the more valuable I think it is. It really helps keep a super hot, raging fire, which is how I like to cook pizza. When I have a fire going on the side of my 42" oven, the flames go up the side of the dome and almost to the floor on the other side.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmeff View Post
I only have one and that's enough.

The more I've used the log holder, the more valuable I think it is. It really helps keep a super hot, raging fire, which is how I like to cook pizza. When I have a fire going on the side of my 42" oven, the flames go up the side of the dome and almost to the floor on the other side.
thanks. i might be a little slow in grasping things - didn't have coffee yet -but, i take it you use the holder with the initial firing of the oven and then when you push it over to the side you also use it, having it sitting in/on the coals and just elevating the logs over them...

fritz
Old 06-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Apprentice

Hey Fritz - I don't use the log holder for the initial firing. Instead, I use the top-down method described here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f41/...ideo-5294.html (Top Down Fire Video)

If I've done a long firing and there are a lot of coals/ashes in the oven, I sometimes take 2-3 shovel fulls out (I find that I got a hotter active fire with less coals/ashes).

Once I push the fire over to the side, I put the log holder on top of the coals. With my turning peel, I put 2-3 small logs (2.5-3" diameter) on top of the log holder to keep a hot, active fire.

Hope that helps!

S
Rbhumbert likes this.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:31 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmeff View Post
Hey Fritz - I don't use the log holder for the initial firing. Instead, I use the top-down method described here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f41/...ideo-5294.html (Top Down Fire Video)

If I've done a long firing and there are a lot of coals/ashes in the oven, I sometimes take 2-3 shovel fulls out (I find that I got a hotter active fire with less coals/ashes).

Once I push the fire over to the side, I put the log holder on top of the coals. With my turning peel, I put 2-3 small logs (2.5-3" diameter) on top of the log holder to keep a hot, active fire.

Hope that helps!

S
ok, got it - thanks for the explanation. i use the top-down method too to start the fire, that's why i was confused.
the log holder seems like a good thing to have and use, i think i will order one and give it a try - gotta have new tools and toys every once in a while

thanks again

fritz
Old 06-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Apprentice

could you post a youtube video of how you use the logholder? A video would be worth more than a thousand words.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Laborer

we too are using a log holder and it makes it easy to scoop out hot coals for the indoor bbq as well
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjerrier View Post
Can you post a picture of it in action or the logs stacked on it?? I saw the pic on the store site, but can't visualize how it actually works.

I have a big problem with heat drop off on the floor
I too would like to see a pic to better conceptualize this. Do you need a pair of holders to make this work? Also, is there any performance difference btwn the $25 and $65 dollar holders on the site?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjerrier View Post
Can you post a picture of it in action or the logs stacked on it?? I saw the pic on the store site, but can't visualize how it actually works.

I have a big problem with heat drop off on the floor
I'd like to this this too. I have tried it a few ways. I'd like to see a pic of how it should sit and where the first logs go.