Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Heat Management

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Log holder and fire quality

It will be great to see one of the log holders in action. I saw the picture of the log holder from FB. By the looks of it, I don't see how you are getting air all around the logs, it looks like it merely pushing the logs into a pile.

Acoma.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ther is not much to see. With a raging fire you can't see it under the logs. Trust me, whether you buy the FB log holder (which I did) or make you own, it makes a very big difference in your fires. Getting the logs a couple of inches off of the hearth really allows great air flow and a better/hotter burn. The holes cut into the FB holder I'm sure aid in that process; so if you plan to make your own, add perforations to allow the air flow.

One factor that will negate the benefits of the holder is not removing your old ashes and coals; building a fire on a big pile of ash (log holder or not) does not lead to a good intense fire.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It seems that you can remove it easily for quick ash cleaning. I definately like the idea, and it does make absolute sense.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Journeyman

I saw a beaut one in a pizzeria in Rome last year - more a permanent fixture I think, but boy did it produce a roaring fire, with flames licking well over the top of the dome. The grate was about 3" above the floor and appeared to have plenty of air circulation under and around it.
Attached Thumbnails
Log holder and fire quality-6228-35-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Did it appear to be an offshoot to the fireplace log holders? Kind of looks that way.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Journeyman

Difficult to tell from my brief inspection - it certainly wasn't small though. I recall that it was rectangular and had legs in each of the four corners (with pads I assume) and had 3" or so high sides fabricated from steel strip. I'm not sure what the grate was made of, but there would have been significant area for the coals to drop through to the floor. I'll just have to go back and have another look!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Apprentice

I got my FB log holder and tried it out for the first time yesterday. Here's my take: It definitely helped create bigger flames and to keep the oven nice and super hot for those 90-second pizzas.

What I didn't expect was that it also made it easier to throw more logs on throughout the night since the curved design makes the logs stay put and not roll out onto the floor.

Can you live without one? Sure, I but it's one more tool that helps everything run smoothly.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Apprentice

Looks like a great idea, I may have to try one. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Apprentice

I went to lowes and purchased the smallest fireplace log holder they had. wrought iron, it only lasted 2 months and the heat seems to have made it droop.

I am not so sure that it was worth it anyway. it did catch new logs I was throwing in, but I think the fire right on the floor , as I do now might spread the heat into the floor better.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Peasant

I have the FB log holder. All I can say is sometimes I look at my fire and think "man, it's just not roaring like normal.". That's usually when I figure out I forgot to put the log holder in! Really, really makes a difference in my opinion.

Ducane 5 Burner Stainless / 34 Inch WFO