Old 05-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How many "Real" pizza ovens do we have?

I've actually found the smaller logs (around 2") to be better during the bake, after I have pushed the fire to the side. I will use the big stuff during the heat up (scary fire). After you push the fire to the side and let it die down a bit you don't get that instant ignition of the large logs when you throw one in; the smaller logs will catch faster - of course you will need more, they burn up quicker. This was not an issue for me until I started doing more pizzas for more people and needed to keep a moderate fire going for awhile.
The first few times at multiple pizzas I went through fire cycling - die down, throw a big log on, wait and it catches (raging fire again), then it dies down again and I went through the whole process over and over. Now I throw in a couple of 2" logs, do a few pizzas, throw on another 2" before it dies down much and keep going that way.....much more consistant fires.

RT
Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks RT. I've noticed the difference in the way the small stuff burns compared to the large. I split all my oak and all my cherry down to 2X3 inches or so. Not good for heating, but good for a quick hot fire. I'm sure that having citrus helps too. Can you send a truck this way?

That's not the whole problem, even with the fire banked to the side, logs burning, tons of embers/coals, I end up dicking around with a couple of pieces of wood trying to get them in just the right position to burn hot and fast to keep the oven really hot. I sure wish I'd paid attention to the pizzaiolos in Italy when I was there.

-
Old 05-13-2008, 03:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My first pizzas are prone to burning on the bottom. It's a bit like the first pancake- never the best one. Subsequent pizzas are perfect and the oven seems to slow in line with the guest's appetites.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use a "D" shaped piece of steel flat bar. The curved part goes against the oven wall on one side. I remove the coals for more cooking space as my oven is small and half fill the steel D with coals, then throw on some finger sized sticks on the coals. Also place a few sticks in the entrance to pre heat. This way you can keep the temp up high and have an oven light. I also love leaving a rosemary branch in the entrance for aroma.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
My first pizzas are prone to burning on the bottom. It's a bit like the first pancake- never the best one.
I agree with that. Never put your daughter's perfect pizza in first. :-) Make a simple focaccia (salt, olive oil and rosemary), to break in the cooking floor for the night, and have it as an appetizer. The first pizza tells you a lot about your oven -- and you might burn the bottom.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Funny, my first pizza is normally the best. I guess I need more work with fire management, huh?

-
Old 05-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Funny, my first pizza is normally the best. I guess I need more work with fire management, huh?
I dunno, my first pancake is usually pretty good too....
Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 AM

Remember, your oven is hotter in back than in front. If you suspect it's too hot, put your first pizza more in the front. You can always move it back to brown the bottom if it's still pale when it sets up.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

My first waffle isn't the best either. Maybe it's genetic.

Does anybody have a Belgian waffle maker? They a lot of fun.

James

Old 05-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Master Builder

I have a waffle maker. My boys prefer the frozen, toaster ones.