Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How long to get to temperature?

Sydney should be beautiful then, expect maybe a bit cooler in Adelaide and Perth. At that time of year you could get anything. Darwin is always hot, definitely shorts and tshirts all year round there. Try to travel light and buy any extra clothes needed along the way as mementos.

Last edited by david s; 12-13-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Serf

I have a 28 inch by 20 inch cooking surface and it takes about 40 minutes or so to clear if my wood is dry and up to an hour if not.

I have been drying the next firing wood with any leftover heat from the current firing. So, that's helps with the time.

I haven't noticed any damage to the oven other then a crack down the middle which has knocked off a piece of the door frame.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
I have a 28 inch by 20 inch cooking surface and it takes about 40 minutes or so to clear if my wood is dry and up to an hour if not.

I have been drying the next firing wood with any leftover heat from the current firing. So, that's helps with the time.

I haven't noticed any damage to the oven other then a crack down the middle which has knocked off a piece of the door frame.
Now drying the next wood in the residual oven heat, what a great idea. Kiln dried
Thanks
Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Master Builder

Thank you David and wotavidone!

Back to the topic. While I agree that it would be reasonable to assume that extreme thermoshock would/might have a detrimental effect upon the WFO built with a firebrick interior it would easily be possible to build a draft door with moveable slides or slots with which to control the amount of draft. A possible scenario of after an hour's firing one could increase the draft from a gentle breath of extra air flow to something more vigorous that would significantly shorten the clearing time might be considered. It would be an interesting experiment with a WFO having thermocouples built in to see how much the heat transfer would be increased (and thus time to clear shortened) using such a draft door.

The idea of firing for three hours to first pizza would be a put off for me with an WFO I built for pizza as a primary use. While a three hour firing of a WFO designed for principle use of baking several loadings of bread however, would not be unacceptable.

Thanks ,
Wiley
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Serf

As for drying the wood, 500 degrees will be too hot and you will find ash in the morning. All i do is check temps and put wood in there. The subsequent fire is hot and fast.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A couple or 4 pizzas, and hour and a half to clear. I am a fan of a long lower fire than a short: "That's a Fire, Gus" fire, so for 4+ pizzas I may burn it for 5 hours and use only a little more wood than the TAFG method.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I had a small fire going tonight for 2.5 hours. I only wanted to cook 2 pizza's. The dome never cleared but I will never do this again. I'm used to cooking a pizza in less than 2.5 minutes - these took forever. When I first shot the floor it was over 700 deg. After I put in the pies and shot it again it was in the 600's. Apparently saturation is the ticket...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.