Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Serf

Default Re: How Heat Works

Hello,

Im working on an oven that is set on a trailer... WOrking with the size trailer bed we have 46x48" I had decided on an oven diameter of 32"... now looking at it, it seems small... I wanted to change the shape a bit to make it 35x38" oblong/oval but am afraid that will mess up the heat flow etc... can anyone share their experience with a non-perfect circle oven? Or their thoughts on how this small difference will affect the cooking of pizzas? This oven is intended for that, not baking. thank you!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Master Builder

Sorry for the late reply.
You will come across many reports that say oval ovens work fine.
I offered to build my mate an oval one but he felt he would not be able to reach the back.
Our hosts, FB, offer an oval oven.
Artigiano120 Brick Oven Specifications

If using an indispensable tool, you could easily build an oval oven simply by using two pivot points.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post

If using an indispensable tool, you could easily build an oval oven simply by using two pivot points.
Unless you have a string connecting the two pivot points with the inner dome contact point you'll end up with two hemispheres joined by a barrel arch. Another simpler way is to shape the oval dome in sand and build against the sand form.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Unless you have a string connecting the two pivot points with the inner dome contact point you'll end up with two hemispheres joined by a barrel arch. Another simpler way is to shape the oval dome in sand and build against the sand form.
So the shape will be two half hemispheres joined by a straight section rather than a true oval. So what?
I didn't explain my idea in much detail, but I believe I could make the whole dome in running bond, no centre arch making up the straight section.
I wanted to try it on my mates oven but he vetoed it on account of his short arms.
Maybe I'll get to try it on oven number three.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No, nothing really wrong with two hemispheres joined by a straight barrel. I was simply trying to clarify the geometry. A string that is movable between the three points would give you a true ovoid form.