Old 10-14-2009, 04:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: High Heat Loss

Like Dutch said, can you get the floor out of the oven ? Using half bricks and insulation board ight be your best way to go... Then call the guy who built it and tell him he owes you a refund !!!

Hope it works out for you
Mark
Old 10-14-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I had an idea that might work but I`ll ask here first.. I was thinking along the lines of insulated cement tiles about an inch thick..I would have to make them in a small form sandwiching the the insulating board on all sides inside the cement.. No idea yet if they would crack or not but thought that if it works then I would have an oven that I could use for bread or Pizza`s by simply placing or removing the tiles..
Do you think this could work?
I live in the Philippines so might have some problems finding the insulating board..
What If I just made them from a perlite cement mix?
An inch of perlite concrete is better than nothing, but not much better. Four inches is the recommended amount. Reducing that still further by putting concrete on top (You can get refractory concrete, but not insulation board?) sounds like a big waste of time to me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey guys,
What if he were to stucco the inside of the oven with refractory cement, if he put kaowool inside, then wire mesh and stuccoed with the refractory ????

Any thoughts on that ??
Cheers
Mark
Old 10-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Um, wouldn't that insulate the bricks from the heat? It's the thermal mass that holds the heat and radiates it back into the oven. Insulation is supposed to keep heat in - but if the bricks can't absorb it, wouldn't the oven cool faster?

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 10-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

arch,,
what i am trying to do here is put a band aid on a gaping wound.... My thoughts it would work better this way than the way it is....You put vermicrete over your insulation to keep and hold heat right ... this is kind of the same thing not as good but better than it was.. Just a thought...
Cheers
Mark
Old 10-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, I realize that but I'm wondering if reducing the working thermal mass wouldn't create the exact same problem as the excessive, uninsulated mass - the inability to hold heat correctly?

I dunno - just asking. I'm strictly peanut gallery here.

[/CENTER]
Old 10-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

arch,, I dont think I can explain what im saying in my words,, But,, Lets say that, thats what I would do If I had the same problem... I think it would keep the heat from being wicked away by the excessive amount of plain concrete in the dome.. Hoping the bricks would Insulate the Isowool and refractory cement.... I think
Old 10-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

<eats peanuts>

[/CENTER]
Old 10-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Serf

Since my last suggestion of perlte tiles I have discovered that my oven gets consistently hot enough to cook large pizzas in just under a minute..The floor and brick arch turn white.. Takes about 3 hours before I can feel the heat coming from the bottom of the 5 inch slab and Ive still to insulate the dome with any thing at all.. When my perlite arrives to insulate my barrell dome i was thinking of going into the nickel smelting business..
What do you reckon??

Fred.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Try tin instead - you could make pewter!

Congrats!

[/CENTER]