Old 03-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Help for a Newbie

Thanks gotrocks, but I'm in northern California.
We did pizza for lunch Sunday and I did use semolina on the peel. I'm feeling much better about the whole pizza cooking thing now.
Now I need to learn heat management in my oven. The dome was up to 1000F and the floor between 650 and 700F. The pies turned out good except the center was not quite done and all that was on it was tomato sauce, mozt and basil. But they tasted darn good and I'm excited to have another go at it, but rain all week and the oven isn't water proof yet.

Tom
Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Help for a Newbie

I apologize, I should have looked at the author of that post better, I confused you with Sholder who lives in WI.

As for your pie having an underdone middle, did you scoot it over any to get it on some hotter parts of the floor after it's initial placement? Or maybe the deck could have used a little more burn time to get hotter?
How long were you feeding it fuel before you cooked in it, Maybe another 15-20 minutes would have had that deck hotter, spreading coals on the deck before cooking may also help, or maybe a reduction in hydration for your dough formula?

Was the bottom cooked fine, but the top lacking, or was it the other way around? A lift towards the dome for the final few seconds would fix the toppings being under done.

I am just thinking out loud, but just maybe I hit on something that will help you?.