Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Heat Management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Heat saturation of the oven floor makes all the difference.

I bought the IR thermometer back when I was still building and wasn't too sure what was absolutely necessary and what was just thrilling toys. And for pizza I really haven't used it. I will use it for breads when temps need to be more specific and precise within a range, when I would need to be sure the oven was either up to or down to a good baking temp. I've found that with bread it doesn't take much of an error in judging oven temps to burn a bread bottom, or to char tops and have a relatively raw bottom or to not be able to do two loads. Aside from all the practical reasons, it just impresses the friends who still gape at the existence of my oven when I tell them that even 24-36 hours after raking out all fire the oven can still be 200 or more.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You are right, Kim! The IR thermometer is indispensible for bread (IMO)! An absolute necessity. You will learn a lot about your oven by watching its heat soak/cooling pattern with the IR!

Bake On!
Jay
Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

After using my oven for a year or so, I started doing thing a little differently with pizza than most.

I fire my oven to get the floor up to past 900F. Then push the coals and ash to the back of the oven. I let the floor temp drop to 800F before cooking.

I do not have a fire burning in the oven during cooking. The residual heat is plenty enough to cook a dozen or so pizzas before the floor temp drops to below 700F.

If I have a large party (I once cooked 30 pizzas), I will also add coal (anthracite) to keep the heat up a bit longer.

Last edited by Neil2; 04-21-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you keep an active flame going on the side you can extend the pizza cooking time greatly and it also provides a light for your oven.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Apprentice

Last night's fest was a nice success. Everything we've been discussing paid off. I even did the flour toss because I remembered to. I'd say the three second rule of thumb is a pretty fair gauge. Thanks all.
Kim
Attached Thumbnails
Heat saturation of the oven floor makes all the difference.-dsc00124.jpg   Heat saturation of the oven floor makes all the difference.-dsc00122.jpg   Heat saturation of the oven floor makes all the difference.-dsc00133.jpg   Heat saturation of the oven floor makes all the difference.-dsc00143.jpg  

Last edited by KEmerson; 04-23-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks good, Kim!

Bake on!
Jay
Old 04-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Master Builder

Right On...looks great!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:23 AM
Apprentice

Thanks, guys. It was pretty sweet at this end too.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Serf

I was reading your thread about heating your oven to get a crispy crust and I'm having the same problem. The last time I made pizza I built the fire 3 hours before cooking, let the dome clear and cleared the floor a good hour before cooking the first pizza. The dome temp was about 900 and the floor temp was about 750-800. Of course the pizzas were good but still not that crispy crust I'm striving for.

I used caputo OO flour at 65% hydration. I've been careful to not overload the pizzas and I even use low-moisture mozzarella with just a little bit of sauce that I thicken up to reduce water content. How long do your pizzas take to cook?

I'm considering three options: a) reduce hearth heat and let pizzas cook longer, b) lower dough hydration, and c) let dough proof a bit longer before baking.

I love the way your pizzas look and I'm trying to get the same thing. Any pointers you could give would be most appreciated.

Jim