Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Heat Management

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Got it too hot last night! 2nd time

Cooked up a batch last night, and they came out perfect! My new technique is to move the fire off of the soapstone ASAP so it doesn't overheat, and I cooked the pizza farther from the heat (on a section that registered 650 degrees); any hotter than that and they want to burn. I don't think I can do a true Neapolitan pizza if the floor temp is any hotter. Thanks for all of the input!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Journeyman

Happy to hear you have a result you like!

I think you will need a higher temperature to do a true Neapolitan pizza, but you will also need a Neapolitan dough to go along with it. Your current dough is not made for a high temperature oven, it is closer to a new York style dough, and cooked at 650 I'd assume your result is too.

Last edited by shuboyje; 09-01-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Peasant

That's the first time I've heard that the doughs are that different! I would like to do a true Neopolitan (that's why I made it so hot two fires ago) but the risks seem to be not worth it. I've tried 00 Italian flour before, but never saw much difference for the cost, so I've stuck with KA. Do you know what the ingredient(s) are that would make Italian flour stand up to a 750+ degree floor temp?!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:42 AM
Journeyman

The Italian 00 flours are unmalted. Malt is a sugar and a source of browning. At high temperature it is a source of burning. My personal experience is that a malted flour can work, but you don't want to add any other sugar to the dough, and you need a high hydration to help prevent burning
Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Master Builder

Glad to hear you got it under control and didn't remove the soapstone. Soapstone is a great surface for cooking for just the reasons you are having problems. As pointed-out previously, soapstone has better heat transfer characteristics and transfers the heat faster than firebrick. It's kinda like the difference in driving a Ferrari and a Ford Taurus. It takes some getting used to. You have a great cooking surface, play with it and see what works first. You obviously can cook pizza at lower temperature than the rest of us with a firebrick surface. Don't worry, be happy.