Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Heat Management (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/)
-   -   Fire Shields (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/fire-shields-3616.html)

Xabia Jim 03-24-2008 12:55 AM

Fire Shields

Do any of you use a fire shield when roasting?

I keep the fire going a lot but don't always want that direct heat on the meat, etc.

Yesterday, I used the firebrick cuts I had left over to put a wall between the fire coals and the piglet.

I had only one of the full size thin firebricks left over but with only three or 4 of these I could have put up a nice shield. don't know why I never thought of it before!

X

jcg31 04-01-2008 04:52 PM

Re: Fire Shields

X,
First, love your posts.
I am using a shallow "log box" made of 3" x 1/8" steel that is straight in front and sides and contours to the curve of the dome in back. It can receive a solid shield or screen in the front. Has been working out great. Also good for quickly moving the entire fire, logs and all coals (has thin steel bottom) to any area where I need a quick recharge of the floor. Holler if you want the plans posted, very simple to make (need access to welder) and inexpensive, although not as inexpensive as leftover bricks - but this does have other benefits.

Jim

CanuckJim 04-01-2008 05:19 PM

Jim,

Good call. I'd like to see some specs on the idea.

CJ

Xabia Jim 04-02-2008 12:54 AM

Yes, please post a picture with or without the fire. Or drawings!

That sounds like a great idea....portable fire....no ash to sweep (or get on my crust) might want wheels on mine:D

XJ

My best friend here is a welder too! (never did make the tools I wanted though....ply more brandy I guess)

jeff 04-02-2008 07:34 PM

Agree.
But three "Jims" in a row. Not bad eh?
Maybe James will squeeze a post in before this one.
I've been using a sheet of s. steel resting against the wall above the coals. OK but clumsy: an 'L' section would be better.
It just never ends, I guess.
BTW, congratulations CJ, and permit me to second your nomination of XJ.
J.

gjbingham 04-02-2008 08:19 PM

Anybody got a picture of your shield? I think I'm picturing it right, but a thousand words would help!

jcg31 04-03-2008 04:54 AM

I will get to the drawings done tonight and post a video this weekend of its use of screen and relocating a fire.
Jim

Xabia Jim 04-03-2008 09:37 AM

Thanks, I'm thinking this may be a cool innovation.

jcg31 04-05-2008 11:00 AM

Here are the drawings for the fire tray portion of what we were discussing. It takes its name from my daughter-in-law who was the first to ask how one kept the ash and flying embers off the pizza. Her tone seemed to suggest little appreciation for tradition or the flavor and nutritional value derived from ash. At the risk of being labled a heretic I have to admit to sharing her views. My first pizza was so covered with flying embers it looked intentional (wood isn't as seasoned as I would like). I also was looking for an easy way to move the fire around the oven and when needed to remove the coals without wasting them. So I created the "Jenny". But this post was originally about a sheild. It attaches to the tray - - I will post those drawings tomorrow as well as a video of Jenny in action. It is above 60 today and I am heading out to finish my vent and chimney (cut down the earlier version a couple months ago because of draw issues). The sheild hooks into the corner tubes you will see in the drawing. They also accomodate a "log lift" and a grill attachment.

Jim

http://www.jcgleim.com/pics/JennyTray.jpg

gjbingham 04-05-2008 10:32 PM

Nice illustrations JCG. Cool idea.

I'm not having big problems with ash and embers on pizzas, but the occasional rolling log off fire will make me shout a few profanities.