Old 09-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Driving heat across the cooking floor

I'm so relieved to see these "plasma" shots. I'm in the final stages of curing my Artigiano120 and have been a bit surprised at how big the fires get when firing to 700+ temps. This all makes me more comfortable with the idea of having a raging inferno in my oven while baking. Tomorrow I make my first pies!
Old 09-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
I'm so relieved to see these "plasma" shots. I'm in the final stages of curing my Artigiano120 and have been a bit surprised at how big the fires get when firing to 700+ temps. This all makes me more comfortable with the idea of having a raging inferno in my oven while baking. Tomorrow I make my first pies!

Congrats!

Where is Bartonvile, Texas?

I'm in San Angelo.

Don't forget to post pics of your first pies! We all enjoy looking at those!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 09-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Show some plasma shots too. How many pies are you planning?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 AM
Serf

Dutch, took your advice and I now have a great oven. No doors yet but they are being designed. I want to post my photos for everyone to see. They are now on MySpace. Should I send them here to direct people to there?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Peasant

I did 2 things that made all the difference. Huge fire for 3 hrs, then moved all the coals to one side and cooked the pizza on the opposite side. I used to put the coals on either side and cook in the middle. I am very happy with my set up now pizza's were yummy.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving heat across the cooking floor-dsc03309.jpg   Driving heat across the cooking floor-dsc03321.jpg   Driving heat across the cooking floor-dsc03318.jpg  
Old 09-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Beamer, those are superb photos. You must have devoured those pizzas. Big difference w/ coals to one side. More room too.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:54 AM
Journeyman

Beammeup:

Nice pictures.
Just an opinion, on next time you would like to took the ashes and the most of the coals out and feed the fire with a few new branches.
This will give your oven the necessary live flames to bake the toppings along the bottom of the pizza and there will be a lot of free hearth space to bake too.

Good luck
Luis
Old 09-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Peasant

Thats a good idea. I was struggling for room. I guess a fresh fire would give off more heat than the coals.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Master Builder

Definitely! From the pictures you made a really nice big, crazy fire...but...when it comes time to put the pizzas in you won't need that much volume of coal. I think you could reduce that bank of coals down to about 25-30 percent of what is shown in the pics and then add a piece or two of nice dry wood. Just an active fire that reaches the top of the dome will keep nice heat rolling in your oven. I have to have a larger bank of coals for pizza to combat some cool spots. My oven is a barrel vault much more effective for bread baking...but I can still make some killer pizza!
Best
Dutch
Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Great advice all. If you end up with a large bank of coal from firing your oven, you can shovel a good percentage of it out into a steel pail. Then, as others have noted, you can keep the flame going by adding a few pieces of 2-3" diamater wood. It should combust quickly, which will give you the flame you want in the oven dome. By taking the excess coals out, you will have more room on the cooking floor, without compromising your cooking temperature.

I also think the fire is much better on one side (the left of me), rather than the back (over even on two sides).

James