Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Heat Management (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/)
-   -   Door Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/door-construction-15049.html)

C5dad 12-27-2010 09:46 AM

Door Construction

I am mulling the door build right now and am wondering what everyone has made doors of. My thought was a sandwiched aluminum construction using 0.1 inch thickness aluminum panel with pearlcrete interior.

If those who have built doors, what would you have done differently?

Thanks in advance for the advise - and your learning experiences you are willing to share.

Chris

Neil2 12-27-2010 11:31 AM

Re: Door Construction

"sandwiched aluminum construction "

This works well. You want to keep the weight down if you can, maneuvering a heavy door in and out can be a pain. For the insulation, consider using the 1/2 inch thick type of insulation that is used in electric ranges or even any leftover blanket insulation material from the build. If you have a local recycler yard (dump) you can sometimes score the range insulation material for nothing.

fxpose 12-27-2010 01:24 PM

My 2" thick aluminum 'box' door is packed with leftover bits and pieces of blanket insulation and only weighs like 4 lbs including a single wooden handle and a dial thermometer.
I can hold the door in one hand while handling food with the other....very practical.

I wouldn't change anything if I had to do it again.

Grimaldi 12-27-2010 03:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Any pictures of inner insulated doors that people are pleased with? I had a temporary thick wooden plank as an inner door, but that turned into a perfect arch of ash on the oven floor;]

I'm pleased with my diamond plate outer door...after I get the fire lit, I put the door over the opening and the fires roars with no smoke out the front.

Below is a pic of my long gone inner door and my outer door (also, now have a stainless deck instead of firebrick sticking out the front).

fxpose 12-27-2010 03:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimaldi (Post 104687)
Any pictures of inner insulated doors that people are pleased with?

I'm pleased with my light weight door. Like I mentioned earlier, if I had to build another I'd build it pretty much the same way.

RTflorida 12-27-2010 04:09 PM

I built 2 doors, my 1st being a 1/4" boiler plate steel door with handles and "legs" to prop it in place; all painted black with high temp paint. I currently only use this door as a wind break. VERY heavy, I've actually chipped (minor) a few bricks putting it in place.

My second door is the aluminum/perlite sandwich you are proposing, 2 1/4" inches thick.
Works really well, I just wish I had saved the few scraps of ceramic blanket I had left over. The blanket or board from under the hearth are twice as efficient as using perlite or vermiculite. I guess hindsight is 20/20.

RT

Lburou 12-27-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimaldi (Post 104687)
Any pictures of inner insulated doors that people are pleased with? I had a temporary thick wooden plank as an inner door, but that turned into a perfect arch of ash on the oven floor;]

I'm pleased with my diamond plate outer door...after I get the fire lit, I put the door over the opening and the fires roars with no smoke out the front.

Below is a pic of my long gone inner door and my outer door (also, now have a stainless deck instead of firebrick sticking out the front).

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxpose (Post 104690)
I'm pleased with my light weight door. Like I mentioned earlier, if I had to build another I'd build it pretty much the same way.

I like the idea of an inner and outer door. I have a predominant wind that would be negated by the outer door, and want an inner door for post pizza baking. :)

fxpose 12-27-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lburou (Post 104710)
I like the idea of an inner and outer door. I have a predominant wind that would be negated by the outer door, and want an inner door for post pizza baking. :)

I frequently use my inner door placed in the outer position (positioned so as to allow fresh air in from one side) during start up or during between pizzas as a wind block.

Lburou 12-27-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxpose (Post 104711)
I frequently use my inner door placed in the outer position (positioned so as to allow fresh air in from one side) during start up or during between pizzas as a wind block.

C5dad 12-27-2010 06:31 PM

Well, It looks to be aluminum and board/kaowool sandwich. I will have to figure out how to make it purdy - aluminum stays too shiney for me. We have a place downtown - Davis Salvage who sells all kinds of metallic goodies to fence builders and other rouges. I may be able to adapt some steel scrolls for feet and or handles.

I was thinking of an outer door as well - probably a 1/2 door so the smoke goes up, while the fresh air comes in. Just need to figure out the kinetics of pyrolysis of various carbonaceous materials in a hemispherical vessel - Do I see my PhD thesis using a pizza oven?