Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Door Construction

Chris, if you need another resource, shoot me a PM and I'll send you the contact information for my friend in Mesa who's fabricating a door for my oven. He's familiar with the brick oven application, and he does great work.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Journeyman

I may just do that - I will check with the guys in my shop as to when we can do the cutting and what not - got a HUGE shop at the mine/smelter with all the tools one would need. Unfortunately, work is the same - more than what the guys need.

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Apprentice

When I got my oven completed I had a stainless steel door constructed with a hollow center. I filled the center with leftover perlite for insulation. The door worked great for heat management, but was far too heavy to lift with one hand while loading bread into the oven. I had a second, light working door made out of sheet steel. The handle was made out of an old coiled grip and welded to some round bar stock. The round stock is forked at the base to give the door stability. I can now lift the door with one hand while holding a loaded peel in the other. I can use the light door for pizza or bread bakes without having to use a glove. As you can see in the pictures, the light door steel is slightly "creased" to allow for heat expansion and then I simply painted it with high temp black spray paint.

I'm pretty happy with my two door system and it gives me a lot of options.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Door Construction-dsc02609.jpg   Door Construction-dsc02610.jpg   Door Construction-pb193950.jpg   Door Construction-p6204602.jpg   Door Construction-dsc02612.jpg  

Last edited by SableSprings; 01-06-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Apprentice

I also found this prior thread with a pretty fancy glass door. Pretty good!
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/g...view-5169.html (Glass door for the view)

Bill

Oven Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures: