Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Heat Management (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/)
-   -   Define a "Clear dome" in your oven please (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/define-clear-dome-your-oven-please-14989.html)

Lburou 12-20-2010 07:20 AM

Define a "Clear dome" in your oven please
 
I'm reading a lot of posts as a newbie and see that term 'Clear dome' fairly often. I'm planning ahead for monitoring the temperature in the oven....Is this clear dome really all the indicator I need for cooking pizza?

Please help me understand....

How do YOU use the clear dome signal as it relates to your oven?

What temperature does the clear dome appear in your oven?

Just filling another gap in my education, thanks for playing professor and tutoring me on this small point :)

Dino_Pizza 12-20-2010 07:38 AM

Re: Define a "Clear dome" in your oven please
 
No problem: Clearing the Dome:
This happens when the fire gets to around 800-875 degrees. At that temp (sustained for about 10 minutes) the black soot gets "seared off" and your dome, which has been blackened on the inside since you started the smaller, sootier fires, becomes totally (and I mean absolutely) clear (cleaned of soot, no longer blackened, the pure buff-coloured brick you had when you 1st finished your oven).

This is the "official" pizza temp. Often, you will see the area near the logs "clear" 1st but after about 30-40 minutes, the entire ovens soot is seared off. You DON'T want to make an instant inferno with flames going up the flu but you want to reach the 900 degree mark over about 45 minutes to an hour of firing.

I love this temp in my oven, I get to see my brick work again, warts and all :o: (the sloppy joints, the improperly lined up joint, the small crack :eek:) but it is and oddly exciting phenomenon.

Dino_Pizza 12-20-2010 08:08 AM

Re: Define a "Clear dome" in your oven please
 
Found some pics:
Not cleared dome. I was roasting chicken so the temps are around 300-400 degrees. You do see some "clearing" down low, about the 1st 1-2" of brick since the logs and flames were concentrated there.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_BkRM6RxeTiU/TQ...0/DSC_5226.JPG

This is a much hotter oven: it's around 900 degrees, so now all the black is gone and the dome is 'cleared', or cleaned. The bricks have absorbed all the heat and it's a much hotter oven than the pic above where you actually SEE flames.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_BkRM6RxeTiU/TQ...0/DSCN3784.JPG

Hope this helps,
Dino

Tman1 12-20-2010 08:23 AM

Re: Define a "Clear dome" in your oven please
 
I think Dino's said it very well.


The real question is 'why do you put so much in 'bold' type? Somehow that signifier is getting into a lot of your posts.

Lburou 12-20-2010 12:05 PM

Re: Define a "Clear dome" in your oven please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tman1 (Post 104223)
I think Dino's said it very well.

The real question is 'why do you put so much in 'bold' type? Somehow that signifier is getting into a lot of your posts.

Yes, he did offer something useful, Thanks Dino, you illustrated the answer very well!

It is easier for me to read, that is all. I forget that most here are not as old as I....You probably see better, sorry if if offends your sensibilities. I'll get my glasses whenever I can, have you ever tried to read these threads on a netbook? Whew! :)

I'm wondering how the different sized oven temperatures vary as the dome comes clear? Perhaps monitoring the temp is not as big a deal as it once seemed.

Tman1 12-20-2010 12:26 PM

Re: Define a "Clear dome" in your oven please
 
I have to admit, I have pretty good eyesight for my age. I wasn't offended, just noticing. It's my understanding that in online forum etiquette, bold is for emphasis, and capitalization is considered yelling. Hence, you don't see an entire post as capitals. I think it's harder to read myself when it's all in capitals). So, you've stated your older and your eyesight isn't what it used to be, you may want to increase the font size on your computer when reading forums as I would think this will help even more than the bold. I have an Apple computer myself, and it's located under the 'view' link at the top of the toolbar as 'zoom in'. I'm not sure how it's done on a Windows machine. This would apply to almost all the websites you visit making it more palatable on your eyes.

Further on the temps without a thermometer, I've also read you can throw some flour on the deck to determine readiness by counting how long it takes to burn off. Now, if I could just find the thread with that in there.

Fairview WFO 12-20-2010 01:56 PM

Re: Define a "Clear dome" in your oven please
 
Lburou, just go down to HarborFreight and get yourself one of those fancy $25 laser temp guns and you'll be all set. Then you can throw it in the drawer like I do because you really dont need it. When your fire burns down and the dome clears out you'll be good to go. Once you build a few fires you'll have it down without checking as you'll be putting in about the same Btu's each time. I do shoot the floor if I'm making a lot of pizza's because it will cool down over time, which just makes it take a little longer to cook. I leave a stack of hot coles on the side so I can rake them back over the floor for a few minutes if I have extended cooking time with a big group.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...etting-hot.jpg

Lburou 12-20-2010 02:02 PM

Re: Define a "Clear dome" in your oven please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairview WFO (Post 104249)
Lburou, just go down to HarborFreight and get yourself one of those fancy $25 laser temp guns and you'll be all set. Then you can throw it in the drawer like I do because you really dont need it. When your fire burns down and the dome clears out you'll be good to go. Once you build a few fires you'll have it down without checking as you'll be putting in about the same Btu's each time. I do shoot the floor if I'm making a lot of pizza's because it will cool down over time, which just makes it take a little longer to cook. I leave a stack of hot coles on the side so I can rake them back over the floor for a few minutes if I have extended cooking time with a big group.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...etting-hot.jpg

Thanks, I think you are right :)

lwood 12-21-2010 02:13 AM

Re: Define a "Clear dome" in your oven please
 
Well said Tman....it's best to stick to the internet etiquette.

The dome clearing happens at basically the same temperature in every oven. It's a function of the auto-ignition temperature of the soot particles. That may vary a few degrees depending on the type of wood you use, but it really has very little to do with the oven. Once the entire firebrick reaches the magic 800 or so degrees auto-ignition temperature (ie heat soaked), the dome will clear.

Lburou 12-21-2010 08:25 AM

Re: Define a "Clear dome" in your oven please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwood (Post 104310)
The dome clearing happens at basically the same temperature in every oven. It's a function of the auto-ignition temperature of the soot particles. That may vary a few degrees depending on the type of wood you use, but it really has very little to do with the oven. Once the entire firebrick reaches the magic 800 or so degrees auto-ignition temperature (ie heat soaked), the dome will clear.

OK, so, its a reliable indication of a narrow temperature range in any WFO I would build?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC